10 months ago
Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
The Timken Company Overview
We're passionate about developing technical solutions and services that enable our customers' equipment to run with increased efficiency, faster and with enhanced durability and superior performance. We have more than a century of experience in materials science, and an even longer history in friction management. We have developed an unmatched expertise in mechanical power transmission, antifriction bearing design, tribology, metallurgy, precision manufacturing, metrology, and engineered surfaces and coatings. Headquartered in North Canton, OH and conducting business in over 30 countries, we offer our customers high-performance solutions tailored for the most demanding machinery.
The Application Engineer supports the execution of global engineering and business plan tactics of the assigned front ends or market segments including: On-Highway, Off-Highway or General Industry.
The Application Engineer takes skills learned in the Timken Technical Training Program and applies them to identify relevant solutions to numerous customer opportunities. They will analyze customer application requirements and business goals to develop optimized bearing/system solutions.
This will help the engineer develop substantial process, system, and product knowledge within a product line, application type, or market segment.
The Application Engineer will also:
1. Understand Internal/External Customer Needs: Internal customers include Sales Engineers, Service Engineering, Marketing, Product Management and Manufacturing. External customers are those served directly by Timken’s products and services. A primary goal of the application engineer to is fully understand the external customer’s needs/ drivers and develop solutions for them that meet not only their needs, but also align with internal customer expectations and goals. Use modeling tools and interactions with our internal customers to determine the best solutions for improving performance. These include the application of existing Timken offerings as well as developing new, highly innovative products.
2. Application Modeling/Identification of Solutions: Perform studies and analyses covering a broad spectrum of potentially complex bearing applications and assemble comprehensive customer proposals with nominal input/direction from other technical staff to support the Business Plan. Model the key attributes of the applications through analytical and empirical analysis. Selection of existing bearings and components and when appropriate, lead the processing of new product/process requests and/ or new product development projects. Review and ensure system surrounding the bearings and mechanical power transmissions components will provide the intended system performance, covering such areas as lubrication, assembly and many others.
3. Assessment: Compare all potential solutions for manufacturability, cost profile, and other attributes relevant to the customer and to Timken. When appropriate, initiate new bearing designs and provide key dimensional analysis and performance criteria for the development of new bearing/system components. Present the optimal solution to internal and external customers, ultimately for quoting.
4. Customer Support: Provide on-going technical assistance to the customer during the various product cycle phases; concept, design, development, launch and service life. Technical assistance includes intercompany/ customer location travel and ability to present these complex solutions "face to face" with the customer.
5. Written and Verbal Communication: Perform at a professional level using fundamental verbal and written communication within Timken and with external customers, including participation in technical reviews. Must have the ability to convey technical solutions clearly through phone calls, emails and reports.
6. Continuous Improvement/Knowledge Transfer: Work with Product Engineering and Product Development to determine and fill gaps in knowledge and technology required to continuously drive the activity above at a world-class level. Accumulate knowledge through familiarity with applications in specific industries and apply in support of tactical programs to meet business objectives. Transfer of knowledge to internal/external customers through classroom instruction, job interaction , and industry/technology research.
We are seeking December 2016 or May 2017 graduates with the following backgrounds:
* Bachelor’s in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited college or university.
* A minimum overall GPA of 3.0
* Possess leadership potential that has been demonstrated in academic or extra-curricular activities, or during other employment
* Achievement in non-academic pursuits such as clubs and organizations, special projects, military service, and prior work experience
* Ability to learn quickly--is flexible and adaptable
* Demonstrated effective communication skills
* Ability to relocate
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.