8 months ago
Applied Mechanical Design & Integration Engineer
Business Unit UTC Aerospace Systems
Job ID 52854BR Date posted 09/01/City Rockford
Do you have what it takes to push the boundaries of game-changing technologies, deliver results while working with a diverse team of talented individuals, and challenge yourself, knowing that what we do matters to the Warfighter and Homeland Security?
UTC Aerospace Systems (UTAS) is one of the world’s largest suppliers of technologically advanced aerospace and defense products. ISR & Space Systems is a business unit within UTAS and our products reside in deep space, low earth orbit, undersea and on the ground. We are also a major supplier to international space programs. The ISR & Space Systems business has contributed to significant advances in ground, air, space and imaging technology for over 85 years.
Space Systems Rockford is seeking candidates for a MECHANICAL ENGINEER, Applied Mechanical Design & Integrationposition.
The primary roles and responsibilities include the design, development, and implementation of mechanical test equipment utilized in the testing of commercial and military hydraulic power units, generators, actuators and other components.
Familiarity with typical test practices, procedures, environmental testing, and test facilities is required. The applicant shall be able to convert product design verification requirements requiring physical testing into a set of design parameters facilitating the design of a test platform. The successful candidate will be familiar with mechanical design principles and the effective testing of mechanical and electrical hardware. Effective communication skills are essential to direct technicians in the fabrication and operation of the test platforms as well as interfacing with management, team members and suppliers.
Coaching, teaching and/or mentoring of junior mechanical interns or co-ops may be required.
* Design Specification Review experience
* Develop test platform requirements from product performance requirements
* Project budgeting, scheduling (MS Project) and cost tracking experience a plus
* Machine, mechanism and fixture design (rotary and linear)
* Instrumentation and Data Acquisition experience
* Torque, Flow, Temperature, Pressure, Voltage, Current, Load, etc.
* Total hardware Integration knowledge a plus
* Coordinate mechanical, electrical, facility and unit under test performance
* Hydraulic power and load circuits
* Gas control systems
* High pressure nitrogen and helium systems
* Pneumatic systems
* Cognizant of Environmental Health & Safety standards
* Modeling (solid and 2-d design)
* Schematic creation and interpretation
* Qualification testing experience
* EMI, Vacuum, Thermal, Corona, Shock, Vibration, Environmental
* Supplier management from specification to procurement support to hardware delivery
* Ability to work with in-house and out-of-house labor for fabrication and implementation of test equipment
* National Instrument LabView familiarity is a plus
BSME degree w/3-5+ years’ experience
MSME degree w/1-2+ years’ experience
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.