5 months ago
About the GTAA
MAKE A DIFFERENCE AND CONNECT THE WORLD – Toronto Pearson is Canada’s leading global hub airport. Help to drive our vision to become the best airport in the world. Together, we will demonstrate that our passengers are our passion, by showing respect, integrity and delivering innovative products and services.
The GTAA is pleased to announce we will be accepting responses for the Jeff Hatt Apprenticeship training program. The experience enables the apprentice to learn a specific trade by combining technical trade instruction and on-the-job training. Apprentices are required to write an exam to obtain their certificate of qualification. Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship program, and certification as a journeyperson by the Ontario College of Trades and employee will be become a full-time journeyperson with the company in the applicable trade.
Jeff was a dedicated electrician and a member of the Terminal Infrastructure Maintenance Response team within Airport Planning and Technical Services, Jeff commenced his employment at Toronto Pearson with TBI in Terminal 3 in 1998 and transferred to the GTAA in 2006. During Jeff's employment with both TBI and the GTAA, he held leadership positions within CAW and Unifor as District Chairperson, Skilled Trades Representative and a Bargaining Committee member. Jeff played an integral part in negotiating apprenticeship language, on behalf of Unifor, with the GTAA and was an inspirational leader in fostering a robust career within the skilled trades.
There are apprenticeship opportunities being offered for the following trades:
To be eligible to apply for this position, the successful candidate must be available to commence the duties of the position once a selection decision has been made. An academic diagnostic assessment test and interview will be administered as part of the competitive process.
* Must possess a High School diploma or GED with grade 12 Math, English and Science
* Must possess a valid “G” Ontario driver’s license
* Must be able to work rotational shifts
* Must be able to lift over 30 lbs. on a regular basis
* Must be able to work outdoors in inclement weather
* Must be able to obtain a “D/DA” class AVOP permit or obtain it within 30 days of appointment to the position
* Must obtain a passing score on the academic diagnostic assessment
* Must be able to obtain and retain a Transportation Security Clearance
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Must demonstrate aptitude and proficiency in Math, English and Science
* Must have knowledge of basic power and hand tools
* Basic knowledge and ability to troubleshoot minor issues, or mechanical aptitude preferred
* Knowledge of basic computer skills
* Ability to work on elevated work heights
* Ability to understand and assess work environment and conditions
* Position requires full sensory capabilities eg. ability to maneuver around equipment safely
* Must have knowledge of relevant safety practices and procedures associated with the trade as required
* The successful candidates must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships, be dependable, self- motivated, work independently or with a team and show a mature approach in conflict and pressure situations