5 months ago
Looking for a great place to work? A place where an award-winning culture means empowerment, teamwork and a passion for what you do? Then think WestJet. It's a great place to land.
WestJet is an organization recognized by its delivery of a remarkable guest experience resulting in us achieving over $3B in sales. In order for our best-in-class airline to be this successful, we require the skills and talents of professionals like you to ensure our ongoing growth. In an industry that is dominated by legacy competitors, you have the opportunity to build your career with an organization driven by progressive strategies, leadership and practices. If you are looking to break out of the status quo by joining a company with a strong growth plan, which consistently ranks as one of the most profitable airlines in the world, and which has a vision to be a top five international airline, WestJet is the place for you!
Category Specialist – Strategic Procurement 9 Month Term
WestJet has announced its plan to launch a new Canadian ultra-low-cost-carrier (ULCC), Swoop, by mid-2018. To support this next evolution we are hiring a Category Specialist.
Reporting to the Manager of Strategic Procurement, this role’s key area of responsibility is managing assigned category areas to support WestJet’s administrative and operational requirements leading up to the launch of Swoop’s first flight.
The ideal candidate will bring proven procurement experience as it relates to strategic sourcing, negotiations, contracting, category management and vendor relationship management. The successful candidate will effectively manage the category, establish and maintain strong internal and external relationships, collaborate with the key stakeholders and will be expected to constantly challenge the status quo to find opportunities to drive additional value and support WestJet’s drive towards being a best-in-class Procurement organization. This role may also participate in sourcing activities for adjacent categories as required.
* Lead and drive strategic sourcing activities (scoping, spend analysis, market research, leading Rfx events, and negotiating and contracting including the completion of contracts/service level agreements);
* With the use of experience and judgment, develop and implement global procurement strategies necessary to ensure an adequate supply of quality, cost-effective products and services.
* Develop negotiation strategies and lead pricing and contract negotiations (including contract drafting) for master services agreements, product/service agreements, service level agreements and amendments;
* Establish, maintain and foster internal customer relationships: collaborate category and supplier strategies, ensure organizational requirements are being met and facilitate resolution of vendor issues;
* Work collaboratively with business units to identify additional areas of opportunity for cost improvement, supplier optimization, spend consolidation, contract renegotiation and strategic sourcing initiatives through research and data analysis (e.g. supplier/market intelligence, industry trends, best practices …);
* Consult with Legal, Finance, Insurance and other internal partners, to ensure the mitigation of risk to WestJet through solid contractual terms and conditions, and identify/communicate potential impacts where risk is contemplated;
* Develop, and maintain a vendor relationship management program with key vendors including metrics, performance goals and improvement initiatives through ongoing interaction and business reviews;
* Foster partnerships and conduct business reviews with key suppliers to create differentiation and accountability for ongoing improvements and value-add in quality and delivery of services, support of Procurement governance and adherence to performance requirements;
* Effectively use available procurement tools and systems to manage RFx initiatives (including e-Sourcing and reverse auctions), drive accuracy of reporting and perform end-to-end contract lifecycle management (including contract administration and maintenance);
* Act as a Subject Matter Expert in assigned category areas, including guiding internal stakeholders on the development of solid business requirements and scopes of work, including documentation of specific deliverables and acceptance criteria;
* Maintain and communicate the category’s procurement performance metrics against pre-determined performance standards;
* Support the timely and accurate reporting of Procurement Key Performance Indicators e.g. cost improvement, spend under management, contract cycle times, etc.;
* Participate in the implementation of best practices, continuous improvement processes and the generation of cost improvement opportunities;
* Responsible for the communication and clarification of standard procurement processes and providing status reports and updates to business unit stakeholders, suppliers and Procurement leadership, as required;
* Ensure compliance to all regulatory, procurement and corporate policies and procedures;
* Lead and participate in, with the collaboration of both the Strategic and Operational Procurement teams, initiatives to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the department’s processes;
* Work with Procurement leadership to participate in the identification, scoping, validation and execution of special projects and LEAN initiatives that will result in measurable cost savings and efficiencies;
* Mentor and coach others within the Procurement team.
* Other Procurement-related administrative and functional duties as required
* Minimum of 4 years strategic procurement and contract management experience, with a minimum of 8 years of procurement experience;
* Recognized Diploma at a College/Technical School, Business degree or equivalent; MBA an asset;
* SCMP designation or equivalent desirable;
* Thorough understanding of procurement, supply chain levers and category management as it pertains to the sourcing, negotiation and contracting of assigned categories;
* Strong negotiation and contracting knowledge, including contract law, reviewing/writing contracts and developing service level agreements;
* Knowledge of e-Sourcing and spend analysis programs an asset;
* Strong interpersonal, change management, organizational, influencing and problem solving skills, with the ability to develop and manage strong internal and external relationships;
* Strong professional communication skills; written and verbal;
* Able to work successfully as team player, as well as independently with minimal supervision;
* Ability to work in a fast paced and dynamic environment;
* Strong computer skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook;
* Intermediate project management skills or LEAN Six Sigma experience or certification an asset;
* Airline industry knowledge / airport operational experience an asset.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest in WestJet. We believe in enriching the lives of everyone in WestJet's world and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Our ongoing efforts toward evolving total diversity will continue to be the way we do business every day. As owners, we believe in celebrating everyone’s unique skills, perspectives and experiences. WestJet is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
If you inspire greater creativity and innovation towards reaching new altitudes and meet the qualifications for the position in which you are interested, we welcome you to complete an online application. WestJet is a great place to land - powered by Talent and Growth.
At WestJet, the safety and security of our people and our guests is a core value and at the heart of what we do. As safety and security is a shared responsibility, it is expected that you will utilize safe work practices to ensure your well-being and the safety of others.