|Exempt / Non-Exempt:
||SUMMARY: Repair, overhaul and modify commercial aircraft components and component piece parts, also includes tooling fabrication and facilities/ground support work as necessary. .Machinists may occasionally be required to perform mechanical assembly and disassembly work in addition to or in conjunction with typical machining/ machine work functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Accomplish assigned machining, fabrication, and assembly or disassembly tasks as assigned by leadership while utilizing current approved/accepted technical data, manuals, or technical drawings.
• Confer with lead person or engineering to resolve machining questions or problems.
• Provide necessary support to aid engineering during tooling and test fixture design and fabrication processes.
• Order parts and materials required for specific jobs assigned utilizing current parts procurement systems.
Maintain current and up-to-date work orders, shop travelers, and/or work documents including all pertinent paperwork related to work accomplished prior to shift change or work stoppage.
Adhere to and uphold current company standards for production performance, housekeeping, and professionalism, includes demonstrating and employing a positive and proactive approach to 5S and LEAN philosophies while working in a team environment.
Willingness to maintain an acceptable attendance record in accordance with ATS policies.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Some travel may be required.
Duties shall include observing all company, health, safety and environmental rules, ensuring that you are provided with full information on your area specific safety issues, all unique hazards are identified, and you are provided with the proper equipment to carry out your job in a safe manner. Also, the entire work area must be maintained to a high standard of housekeeping and low incidence of physical hazards and all accidents must be promptly reported to your supervisor or manager.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to read and interpret technical manuals, drawings and documents for product specifications such as dimensions and tolerances and assure conformance to specifications and standards.
• Ability to use measuring equipment (e.g. micrometers, calipers, etc.) to manufacture and inspect parts for conformance to specifications.
• Ability to perform precision machining operations on conventional machinery and equipment. Select, align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories and materials on manual vertical mills, lathes, and horizontal boring machines as required including the fabrication, modification, and repair/overhaul of aircraft parts, assemblies, and components in a safe and organized manor, while maintaining established expectations for quality and efficiency.
• Ability to measure, mark or scribe dimensions and reference points on material or work pieces as guides for subsequent machining. Calculate and set controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, depth and angle of cut.
• Ability to start and observe machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining, and adjust machine controls to correct error.
• Ability to inspect and verify conformance of finished work piece to specifications before release.
• Possess a basic understanding of aircraft systems and components including a fundamental concept of how the two interrelate.
• Working knowledge of basic mathematical skills as related to the machinist trade
• Ability to solve basic problems and perform computations related to unit conversion, volume, area, circumference, arc length, chord length, and machine feeds and speeds.
• Ability to perform mathematics related to machining tasks.
• Basic knowledge of computers, CAD familiarity or experience a plus.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
• High school diploma or equivalent AND at minimum 18 months of related work experience OR equivalent combination of experience and/or training.
PHYICAL EFFORT AND DEXTERITY:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to sit; use their hands and arms; and talk or hear; and focus on objects close up. The employee will also be required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee will be required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The noise level in this work environment is usually moderate to high. May frequently work near moving mechanical parts and machinery in high, precarious places and may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
This job description is not a contract for employment and either party may terminate employment at anytime. The job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. ATS reserves the right to revise the job description at anytime.