17 days ago
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Work with outside vendors and suppliers to acquire the best possible cutters for a specified task. Assist Manufacturing Research and Develop (MR&D) in the development of methods and procedures of cutters (e.g., drills, reamers core drills and various types of end mills), to ensure close tolerance high quality machined parts.
Job Responsibilities include:
* Employment in this position also requires finger manipulation, handling, lifting less than 10 pounds, sitting, standing, walking, contact with metals, exposure to noise, and the use of personal safety gear for face/eye, ears and feet.
* Obtain work from shop, interface with machine operator to ensure that the proper cutters and feeds and speeds are set-up and ready, as required.
* Maintain an inventory of cutters that are proven for a given task, route worn or damaged cutters through cutter pool or tool grind and re-order cutters, as required.
* Coordinate with machine operators and MR&D in the development of optimum machining procedures (e.g., cutter speed and feed), as required.
* Work with vendors, suppliers and MR&D in the testing of new cutters (e.g., diameter, length, coatings and number of flutes).
* Coordinate and work with Tool Grind, fill out Tool Grind Request Orders for the purpose of testing different rakes and angles of cutter face.
* Operate various types of machines used to balance cutter in their holding fixtures (e.g., chucks and collets) adding weights and changing screw length, as required.
* Use various types of precision measuring tools (e.g., micrometers, calipers and height gage) to check run out and to set cutter in holding fixture.
* Maintain a file of vendors and suppliers, with names and phone numbers of persons of contact and catalogs.
* Continually updating information, as required.
* Maintain and update files and logs of proven jobs, with information pertaining to set-up of cutter, type of cutter/holding fixture and manufacture last used.
* Screen shop inventory periodically, send over stocked and no-used tools to tool storage or salvage, as required.
* Handle and dispose of hazardous materials in approved manner (per Material Safety Data Sheets) using personal protective equipment as required.
* Maintain personal and tool certifications, as required.
Relocation Assistance Available
No. Relocation assistance is not a negotiable benefit.
Resumes of current Puget Sound Boeing employees submitted via Careers at Boeing will be considered as this job is not installed in QTTP. This is an hourly position governed by the IAM Collective Bargaining agreement. High school graduate or GED preferred.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. §120.15? "US Person" includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
* Experience reading and interpreting assembly instructions or drawings.
* Experience using a computer such as internet navigation, email, Microsoft Office and/or other specialized computer applications.
* Experience in setting and using precision measuring tools and equipment such as micrometers, calipers, and/or dial indicators.
* Experience with machine shop processes, geometric dimensioning & tolerances, and machining capabilities of different types of materials (e.g., cutting speed and feed rates for material being machined).
* Experience with the following activities: Resharpening drills, Resharpening reamers, Resharpening end mills, Modifying cutters, Fabricating/Modifying drills, reamers and end mills.
* At least 1 year of experience managing suppliers/vendors to deliver products and services.
Contingent Upon Program Award