5 months ago
KBRwyle requires an Emerging Technologies Engineer/Surveyor to support development of Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Strategic Planning Development and Experimentation (SPDE) Opportunity Capture Initiative. This candidate will scan a wide range of non-DoD related technology areas to find concepts for cross-over potential. This scanning will include traveling to companies, universities and other locations to get in-depth, first hand exposure to these technology areas and Conduct information workshops that bring non-military technology experts together to discuss global innovation trends.
This candidate will work with a small, expert team of technology scanners, program managers, and DoD/USAF R&D portfolio managers to execute the Awareness-Hunch-Ideation-Concept development model to provide project proposals to the SPDE office for execution.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Conduct literature reviews of targeted areas of the global innovation space.
• Build and maintain professional networks with Industry, Academia, and other non-DoD technology experts
• Conduct information workshops that bring non-military technology experts together to discuss global innovation trends.
• Identify US Air Force gaps and military needs that hold promise for resolution by technologies and concepts identified in global innovation space scanning activities.
• Conduct workshops and other engagement activities with warfighting and technology experts to develop and refine proposals for concept development.
• Analyze results of engagement activities and prepare proposals and chartering documents to conduct multi-year experimentation projects.
Education: A Bachelor of Science degree is required with at least five (5) years of technical experience in Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, or Medical areas. The position will allow various combinations of education and experience using a 1 year of education for 1 year of experience substitution.
Experience/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: This position will be a key member of a high-impact, fast-paced, high visibility team. Key skills required:
• Conflict resolution
• Problem Solving
• Critical and Creative Thinking
• Clear and well organized communication skills
Other required skills include:
• Interviewing skills: talk with individuals and groups about their needs and ask the right questions to surface essential requirements information;
• Listening skills: understand what people say and to detect what they might be hesitant to say;
• Analytical skills: critically evaluate the information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a more general understanding, distinguish presented user requests from the underlying true needs, and distinguish solution ideas from requirements;
• Facilitation skills: lead diverse technical experts in Ideation and Concept development workshops;
• Observational skills: validate data obtained via other techniques and expose new areas for elicitation;
• Writing skills: communicate information effectively to customers, marketing, managers, and technical staff;
• Organizational skills: work with the vast array of information gathered during elicitation and analysis and to cope with rapidly changing information;
• Interpersonal skills: help negotiate priorities and to resolve conflicts among project stakeholders (such as customers, product management, and engineering);
• Research skills: use of research services and performing analysis on data and information collected; Complex problem-solving methods to include functional analysis, and facilitation of divergent and convergent thinking exercises;
• Familiar with contact management and knowledge management systems to capture scanning information and insights for later retrieval
The following are desired:
• Exposure or experience in cutting edge Industry or Academia in the fields of Information Technology (including Artificial Intelligence, Big Data), Robotics, Bio/Med, Energy, or other critical emerging technology sector
• Experience at a National Laboratory or DoD Lab
• Exposure to Defense requirements generation or operations
• Project management skills: schedule and manage human and financial resources;
• Familiar with initial military concept of operations (CONOPs) development;
• Understanding of experimentation methods to refine and validate CONOPs and associated technological systems;
• Current Top Secret Clearance with SCI eligibility
• Eligibility for access to Special Access Program (SAP) information
• Willingness to submit to a Counterintelligence polygraph
Applicant selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.