3 months ago
Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Gear Grind Machinist – Niles
1st shift for Friday, Saturday and Sunday hours.
Department: Gear Machining
This position utilizes the machinists skills and knowledge to efficiently perform and maintain the manufacturing processes on parallel axis CNC grinding machines (Niles) to produce precision aerospace components.
* Independently set up and operate parallel axis CNC grinding machines as required without supervision.
* Expertly setup and run all parts and/or components.
* Read/interpret machining program language required for machine operation.
* Run and manually dress grinding wheels.
* Balance gear wheel.
* Use manual inspection equipment as required, e.g. height stands, micrometers, indicators, dial bores, verniers, etc.
* Work with aerospace materials such as aluminum, carburized steel, stainless steel, magnesium, titanium, and nickel alloys.
* Follow customer quality requirements, and read/interpret operation sheets and work instructions.
* Perform preventative maintenance tasks to maintain machinery performance and prevent machine downtime.
* Collaborate with support groups i.e. engineering, and quality, to prevent, overcome and trouble shoot production issues and work stoppages.
* Lead new product and development programs from the technical machining perspective.
* Adhere to established policies and company procedures and standard work.
* Read/interpret reports from the CMM measuring equipment and understand the functionality of the machine.
* Initiate and participate in process improvement initiatives utilizing lean manufacturing tools and techniques as approved by supervisor.
* Document and communicate manufacturing performance issues to maintain continuity between shifts and decrease machine downtime.
* Act as a role model, coach and train new associates to foster a team environment.
* Maintain work areas and equipment in a clean and orderly condition.
* Follow all safety policies, rules and regulations.
* Other duties as assigned by Leads, Supervisors and/or Managers.
* Ability to stand or sit for extended period of time on a concrete manufacturing floor.
* Fine motor skills with frequent hand and arm movement.
* Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
* Moderate twisting and bending.
* Moderate climbing on step stools or platforms.
Unusual Environmental Conditions:
* Loud machining environment; exposure to aerospace metals, lubricants and chemicals.
Required Personal Protective Equipment:
* Safety glasses/shields, appropriate manufacturing closed toed footwear, gloves, hearing protection may be required or other protective equipment as needed.
* US Citizen or permanent resident
* High School Diploma or equivalent.
* Technical school graduate in machining (desired)
* Minimum of 10 Years of Machining Experience with at least 7 years of experience in gear grinding.
* Aerospace experience required.
* Expert ability to work with tight tolerances.
* Industrial mathematics, trigonometry required.
* Strong written and verbal skills.
* Strong computer skills.
* Solid team skills and ability to work with cross functional teams.
* Expert ability to read technical drawings.
* Expert ability to use and setup various measuring devices.
* Excellent problem solving skills with ability to trouble shoot technical concerns.
* Lean knowledge i.e. 5S, setup reduction, TPM.
* Expert ability to read & interpret machining program language.
* Wheel balancing knowledge and application.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.