2 months ago
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
General Machinist's setup, operate and adjust numerous types of Computer Numerical Controlled (CNC) single and multiple tool machining centers. These machines may include lathes, planers, and milling machines. They utilize custom control media, setups and program documents, to fabricate close tolerance, high quality parts from metals, plastics and composite materials.
Job Responsibilities include:
* Employment in this position also requires lifting 10-15 lbs, 15-35 lbs, reaching, handling, turning/twisting, lifting/lowering, climbing, balancing, bending, kneeling, crouching, squatting, contact with metals, solvents, coolants, exposure to moving parts and tools, sharp cutters, slipping hazards, noise and atmospheric conditions, and the use of personal safety gear for face/eye, hand/arm and feet.
* Prepare to set-up job (e.g., production orders, first lots, tool tryouts) or run previously set-up job by reviewing work order, tie-in sheets, operator's or setup documents, drawings or CATIA plots.
* Ensure that correct material (e.g., type and quantity) was issued per plan and is free from defects.
* Select appropriate tools, as required.
* Identify type of set-up required to machine part/assembly.
* Perform layout/lofting on parts/assemblies, as required. Perform machining operations using manual/CNC machines, as required.
* Generate (NC) Numerically Controlled programs and setup documents, using an on-line computer system and math (e.g., algebra, geometry, trigonometry), as required.
* Select machine accessories and holding devices (e.g., chucks, vises, turntables).
* Verify that apparatus is in good condition.
* Identify fixtures and/or shop aids to be built and fabricate, using appropriate equipment (e.g., mill, lathe, bandsaw, drill press, sander, grinder), as required.
* Attach machine accessories, tools and shop aides, using dial indicators, edge finders, wrenches, bolts, clamps and overhead cranes.
* Upload/download CNC programs to machine controller, using computing programs from various servers/data bases.
* Troubleshoot and edit program media (e.g., Media Tryout (MTO)), as required.
* Select and check cutting tools per program or CNC documents.
* Ensure cutters are the correct type, length, diameter, radius and are in good condition.
* Load and unload cutters following program information or set-up documents, using tool holders, spindle tapers, hand tools (e.g., wrenches, mallets, spanners) and/or overhead cranes.
* Set machine coordinates or index points per CNC documents, including cutter offset/compensations, tool heights and probes, using controller keyboard, coax indicator or digital readout, height blocks, shims and edge finders.
* Run CNC programs to machine rough and precision cut parts following CNC documents.
* Adjust machine settings (e.g., speeds and feeds) to correct machining problems or to prepare machine for next operation in sequence.
* Perform editing of CNC programs per shop requirements.
* Monitor machine during operation for unusual vibration or sounds, watch machine gauges and controller display or digital readout for warnings, visually check cutter path, clearance, chips to ensure smooth operation.
* Check work during each operation and/or after completed job to ensure parts are complete per drawing/plan and that there are no defects (e.g., tool marks, mismatch, incorrect cutter finish).
* Develop and perform Statistical Process Control (SPC) functions, if required.
* Handle and dispose of hazardous materials (e.g., coolants, solvents) in approved manner per Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), using personal protective equipment, as required.
* Assist other employees with setups, methods and procedures, by passing on verbal and written information and answering questions.
Relocation Assistance Available
Yes. Available for eligible candidates, if authorized.
Resumes of current Puget Sound Boeing employees submitted via Careers at Boeing will be considered as this job is not installed in QTTP. This is an hourly position governed by the IAM Collective Bargaining agreement. High school graduate or GED preferred.
* Experience using a computer such as internet navigation, email, Microsoft Office and/or other specialized computer applications.
* Experience in setting and using precision measuring tools and equipment such as micrometers, calipers, and/or dial indicators.
* Experience reading and interpreting assembly instructions or drawings.
* Knowledge operating overhead cranes in a safe manner.
* Ability to work any shift.
* At least 1 year of experience setting-up and operating CNC mills and lathes.
* This position requires constant standing and walking, frequent bending at the waist, twisting, pushing/pulling, occasional kneeling and crawling, and lifting and carrying up to 35 pounds.
Contingent Upon Program Award