• Monitors and audits all business unit Inspection personnel qualifications and performance of Inspection duties to ensure compliance with regulatory and corporate policies.
• Responsible for promoting the Safety Management System (SMS) and ensures adherence to the SMS policy. Responsible for observing all applicable safety requirements and reporting immediately any unsafe practices/conditions.
• Monitors the adherence to the regulations and customer requirements with respect to quarantine of parts and components, inspection record retention and the accompaniment of release certification documents with completed products and initiates corrective action when necessary.
• Responsible for reporting on the status and performance of the inspectors to the Chief Inspector and/or functional/direct Management as applicable.
• Plans day-to-day operations, assigns manpower, authorizes overtime and controls costs.
• Along with the Chief Inspector, exercises authority in hiring, training, career development, performance appraisal, salary adjustments, promotion, discipline, health, safety and the general employee relations of Inspectors.
• Provides regular input and feedback to Chief Inspector regarding the performance of assigned Inspection personnel.
• Exercises leadership on Inspection related topics, including improvements and Continuous Improvement (CI) projects.
• Performs administrative activities necessary for the effective management of the Inspectors, including assisting the Chief Inspector with employee safety, employee counseling, timekeeping, and supporting organization goals and objectives.
• Plans, organizes, integrates and measures the inspection work performed within the various cells.
• Builds and develops team approaches to problem solving and continuous improvement concepts within the assigned area.
• Provides technical support to business unit Inspectors.
• Reviews amendments to policies and procedures pertaining to inspection criteria within the business unit.
• Coordinates and liaises with Operations, Supply, Sales, Engineering and Customer Service to ensure production standards and goals are achieved.
• Periodically reviews final document packages and product for accuracy and conformity to customer, Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) and regulatory requirements.
• Performs and supports trouble-shooting investigations in support of fact finding and problem solving.
• Initiates and supports continuous improvement activities to achieve the SBU and corporate objectives.
• Provides input and participates in error analysis to strengthen defenses where needed.
• Evaluates the inspection process and leads continuous improvement initiatives on the business unit related to inspection activities.
• Participates in special projects as assigned.
Qualification and Certification of Inspection Personnel
• Monitors and administers approval process for inspection personnel.
• Approves certifications and issues Inspection stamps to candidates upon completion of pertinent Training Development Plans.
• As required, retrieves stamps where necessary to ensure Continued Airworthiness is maintained.
• Provides instruction and training to business unit Inspectors in inspection methods and practices to provide consistent application of best practices.
• Leads the development and monitoring of inspection-related training plans including continual and re-current training.
• Acts as a mentor to inspection personnel and works closely with the Training and Development Specialist where necessary.
• As required participates in providing classroom training on inspection related topics.
• Participates in the cross training of Inspectors as needed to support production requirements.
• Thorough knowledge of Incoming Inspection, Final Inspection and Certification functions.
• Thorough knowledge of the applicable Civil Aviation Authority airworthiness certification requirements.
• Strong planning, organizational, leadership, interpersonal, decision making, oral and written communication skills.
• Thorough knowledge of Quality Procedures, Work Instructions, Quality Assurance Manuals, RSM/QCM’s, and Original Equipment Manufacturer manuals.
• Thorough knowledge of 14 CFR Parts 65, 145, 121, 125 and 135
• Thorough knowledge of gas turbine engine theory and performance.
• Working knowledge of precision measuring instruments.
• Working knowledge of PC's and Microsoft Office.
• Working knowledge of Production Management computer systems.
• Ability to read, understand and interpret drawings and blueprints.
• Extensive experience in Quality Inspection.
• Excellent decision making skills to ensure compliance to all customer, regulatory and company requirements.
• Several years of supervisory experience in a manufacturing, production or 145 repair station environment is a plus.
• Aerospace experience in 14 CFR parts 21, 121, 135 or 145 environments a plus.
• Airframe and Powerplant License a plus
• Must be a US Citizen or a US Permanent Resident.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.