5 months ago
Intern E-Seat Engineering
Business Unit UTC Aerospace Systems
Job ID 53462BR Date posted 09/09/City Colorado Springs
Our Colorado Springs Specialty Seating Systems Company is recognized as the leader in designing, developing, and manufacturer of a broad spectrum of aerospace seating products. Our state-of-the-art, ACES 5 Ejection Seat is recognized as the benchmark in aircrew ejection safety. Over 6000 UTAS ejection seats are in service today on F-15, F-16, A-10, B-1, B-2, AV-8, WB-57, and other aircraft across the world in more than 25 countries. ACES ejection seats have saved the lives of 646 aircrew over the last few decades. In addition, our state-of-the-art commercial 16g dynamically certified cockpit and cabin crew seats, passenger seats, and 30g crashworthy helicopter seats are showcased on commercial, regional, business, and military aircraft for most major OEMs.
The Ejection Seat Engineering Intern will support the Engineering Team in the design, development, and testing of ACES ejection seat components and subsystems. The position will provide experience working as an assistant in a research and development atmosphere. This individual will assist engineering with daily activities such as updating engineering drawings to incorporate manufacturing improvements, proposing new technology, creating innovative design solutions, executing design reviews, working with customers, and supporting testing of the products.
* Revise engineering drawings to incorporate manufacturing improvements.
* Support bids and proposals for new seats
* Support manufacture and fabrication for new ejection seat designs
* Utilizes NX 8.5 CAD software to produce 3D design models and to facilitate the drafting department in producing drawings
* Support work submitted from the UTAS Global Engineering Center-India (GEC-I) and coordinates with appropriate Engineering Resources.
* Support design of ejection seat products or subcomponents utilizing NX 8.5 CAD system and Team Center Product Lifecycle Management Software.
* Works as the liaison between COS Design Engineering and GEC-I Engineering on technical design tasks.
* Works as part of a cohesive test team testing ejection seats with state of the art anthropometric manikins (similar to automotive industry manikins) at ejection velocities from zero airspeed to beyond the speed of sound (800+ MPH groundspeed)
* Support reviewing requirements and evaluate new product design and functionality in support of meeting customer requirements and successful certification efforts.
* Facilitates necessary customer requirement testing to ensure product safety.
* Support interactions with Marketing to ensure customer satisfaction.
* Assists Engineering Management to coordinate the timely delivery of product design and customer proposal requests.
* Support preparation of preliminary and final detail design and documentation of systems, components, and assemblies.
* May occasionally design test fixtures, tooling, and aircraft fuselage mounts and undercarriages to mount to our track for our HMTF testing.
* Adheres to all UTAS rules and codes of conduct.
* Performs other duties as required.
* Specific design responsibilities are dependent on the intern’s skill level
Qualification: Experience Required:
* Analytical skills including knowledge of physics, dynamics, and statics.
* Basic experience presenting design solutions
* US Citizen or Green Card required
* Unigraphics/NX CAD experience (or other high end CAD software package)
* Design experience with machining, sheet metal, and fabric components
* Individual must be very detail oriented and thorough in daily work activities due to the criticality of the ejection performance. A life is at stake with every part designed by this engineering team.
* Customer skills and customer focus (both internal and external customers)
* Good analytical skills.
* Ability to work as part of an integrated product team.
* Ability to multi-task and prioritize both daily issues
* Good communication skills including both written and verbal skills
* Excellent computer skills, including skill in Microsoft Office applications and the ability to learn new software.
* Good interpersonal skills and skills facilitating working in a teamwork environment
* Identifies root causes of problems, secures relevant information, and identifies possible solutions.
* Drives obligations to closure with precision to benefit the organization and every constituent.
* Determines alternative solutions to problems, evaluates courses of actions, and reaches sound business decisions.
* In Pursuit toward a Bachelor of Science Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering Degree.
* Applicant must be have two years completed toward engineering degree.
* At least 3.0 out of 4.0 grade point average
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.