9 months ago
Manager, General Engineering
Business Unit UTC Aerospace Systems
Job ID 46389BR Date posted 04/14/City Pomona
Country United States
Do you have what it takes to work with a diverse team of talented individuals? Do you want to push the boundaries of game-changing technologies? Can you challenge yourself knowing that what we do matters to our Warfighters, Astronauts, and Homeland Security? Are you Mission Ready?
We at ISR & Space Systems – Pomona are world leaders in Biological and Chemical Detection Systems employed by the U.S. Military, NASA, and Department of Homeland Defense to assure personnel safety on space, ground, and undersea platforms. Our passion for supporting the men and women who protect our country and support our mission in space demands excellence in everything we do, from the talent we recruit to the highly-engineered systems we deliver. We value people, integrity, ideas and performance. This position offers an exciting opportunity to provide strong technical and functional leadership for a team of 40+ engineers.
United Technologies Aerospace Systems, ISR Systems - Space & Defense, has over 60 years of experience in the design, build and test of exceptionally high quality Chem-Bio detection systems. The Pomona facility (formerly Consolidated Electronics, Perkin-Elmer, Orbital Sciences, and Hamilton- Sundstrand) delivers these high quality systems to customers such as NASA, DoD and DHS customers. The highly skilled team at Pomona produces unique systems for space as well as ground and undersea applications. We need you to become part of this team to deliver these complex systems that protect our armed forces and astronauts. Come join us today!
The successful candidate for the site engineering manager role provides strong technical and functional leadership for a team of 40+ multi-disciplinary engineers. Duties and attributes of the site engineering manager include:
* Develop, maintain, and implement design best practices, processes, and procedures, and ensuring the engineering team is properly trained to implement across all of our programs
* Work collaboratively with engineers, operations, and quality to achieve optimal design solutions which meet customer requirements
* Work effectively through all phases of design and manufacturing, including development and implementation of solutions for an overall system level detection architecture
* Guide the design and manufacture of detection systems, with focus on instrument design for chemical and biological detection
* Guide the overall design validation and verification process
* Execute essential IRAD projects aimed at developing mission ready capabilities (TRL 6+)
* Familiarity with detection algorithm development, design and implementation (and associated software packages, e.g. Matlab)
* Experienced with translating system level performance requirements into a final, released design
* Conduct discipline health reviews working with the various discipline managers
* Develop overall engineering sourcing strategies
* Ensure compliance with all international trade organization policies and procedures
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
* Familiarity with all engineering disciplines (systems, mechanical, electrical, specialty, and test)
* Strong project planning and resource management skills with all associated processes and tools
* Proficiency in establishing and continuously improving the engineering organization – design procedures and standards, standard work, technology development, hiring, training, career development, data and configuration management, and strategically leadership
* Capability to assess resource needs within the site with continual monitoring of program activities and their associated loading requirements in the near and long term
* Ability to interface with various program managers, cell managers, as well as direct reports within the engineering team
* Ability to perform time card monitoring and authorizations, annual performance reviews and merit raise assessments based on allocated budgets and individual engineering contributions of the team members
* Capability to assess and be cognizant of the professional growth path of the engineering team members, and work towards the proper technical career development in the realization of individual goals as well as the needs and goals of UTAS.
* Conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
* The candidate must have 15+ years of progressively responsible experience in a chemical/biological detection system design and manufacturing environment, with at least 8 years managing people and teams
* The candidate requires excellent communication skills with all levels of an organization with the ability to facilitate teamwork across functions
* A strong understanding of the high reliability space and military electronics environment is required, and chemical/biological detection engineering work in a manufacturing environment is desired
* Must be adaptable to changing priorities.
Due to ITAR, Export Control requirements and federal contracts this position requires all candidates to be a US Citizen and must either hold a current US DoD clearance or must be able to obtain and maintain a clearance.
Assist in leading group process improvements using our UTC continuous improvement system (ACE), including the continued development of standard work for program management group processes.
Actively support the organization’s efforts to meet or exceed EH&S goals and plans, must comply with the EH&S Policy and applicable regulatory and company EH&S rules and requirements.
BS Degree in Physics, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related technical field w/ 15+ years of experience in Chemical/biological detection, design and manufacturing.
Experience managing people -8 yrs.
Masters Degree highly preferred.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.