Compass Airlines is seeking a Manager of Safety Programs to join our team at our Minneapolis, Minnesota – Headquarters location. We are looking for an innovative and technical individual, with exceptional business judgment, as well as the initiative and competence to make a significant contribution to the Compass organization.
The Manager of Safety Programs reports to and assists the Director of Safety (DOS) in managing daily operations of the Compass Airlines Safety Department to ensure the highest level of safety and regulatory compliance at Compass. The position represents senior management in the accident investigation process and supports the Director of Safety in the performance of critical safety, emergency, instructional and analytical functions required by FAA, NTSB, DOD, OSHA, EPA, and corporate policies.
- Bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) or equivalent in Aviation Safety, Engineering, Management or in a similar program whose major emphasis is safety and systems analysis applicable to the major aviation technical areas; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Airline experience is required, reflecting extensive operational experience in aviation and a broad knowledge of Federal Aviation Regulations. Normally this experience will be gained through a combination of formal education and experience gained through service in either an operational position requiring FAA certification, i.e. as a flight deck crewmember, aviation mechanic, dispatcher, safety investigator, or an airline position(s) providing equivalent exposure and experience.
- The ability to lead large and small groups with assurance and clarity.
- The ability to take the initiative in sometimes intellectually and emotionally trying situations.
- The ability to speak for the Company and in professional and public forums relating to aviation safety and regulatory activities.
- Advanced mathematical and analysis competency.
- Experience with advanced database, root cause analysis, and aviation control, scheduling and tracking software systems.
- Experience with business software including: MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and Powerpoint.
- Experience with Safety Management Systems and 14CFR Part 5
- Computer programming experience.
- Experience with aviation safety programs such as Flight Operational Quality Assurance (FOQA), Aviation Safety Action Program (ASAP), Internal Evaluation Program (IEP).
- Experience with investigations of accidents and incidents to include root cause analysis.
- Experience conducting risk assessments.
- The position involves prolonged periods during which individuals are either working with their computer while seated at a desk or standing in front of a group of people teaching and/or leading discussions.
- The position involves occasional travel to conduct investigation and audit duties in airline terminals, aircraft hangars, airport ramps, and incident/accident sites that may require stamina and dexterity for their successful accomplishment.
Job Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
Overall Knowledge of Aviation Safety:
- Flight Operations Safety
- Ground Operations Safety
- Maintenance Operations Safety
- OSHA Regulations and Safety Recommendations
- FAA Regulations with regard to Aviation Safety and Safety Management Systems
- Fatigue and Fatigue Risk Mitigation
- Familiarity with the NTSB investigative process and ICAO Annex 13 on Accident Investigations
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills are required.
Organizational and Leadership Skills
- Must have effective interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Must display advanced leadership skills appropriate to all organization levels, inside and outside the company.
- Must have above average skills in the planning and organization of analyses and investigations and similar level skills regarding attention to timetable and detail in the performance of such activities.
Problem Solving/Analytical/Reasoning Ability
- Must have ability to apply knowledge and common sense in understanding and dealing with employees and customers.
- Must deal with all situations diplomatically and professionally.
- Must possess above average analytical and organizational skills.
- The position demands a meticulous approach, the ability to work independently, and the ability to cope with rapidly changing circumstances.
- The candidate must possess the highest degree of personal and professional honesty and integrity, as the jobholder will be asked to provide information and advice to the DOS and to Company Senior Management on all matters relating to the safe operation of company aircraft and equipment, input that will often become the basis for the company direction.
- Develop, implement, and update all safety programs for Compass Airlines.
- Maintain the airline safety database, analyze and evaluate statistical trends, and create a plan of action to identify and correct safety issues. Prepare quarterly reports for the Director of Safety and senior management.
- Conduct investigations of safety-related incidents as necessary. Analyze and evaluate information in preparation of providing written reports to the Director of Safety and senior management listing root cause, contributing factors, and suggestions for remedial action.
- Conduct audits to ensure regulatory and safety compliance and identify areas of weakness. Analyze and evaluate information, and prepare written reports to the Director of Safety and senior management listing areas of deficiency, contributing factors, and suggested closeout action.
- Establish, maintain, and coordinate internal safety databases to ensure data migration, accuracy and viability.
- Perform regular analysis and trending of repeat issues.
- Alert appropriate departments of repeat trends; coordinate mitigation strategies and track progress.
- Create spreadsheets, charts, and presentations of safety data monthly for senior management review and action to include recommendations and/or action plans.
- Develop and maintain the Compass Airlines EPM and ERP to ensure procedures, phone numbers, lists for Quad Page system, and Company policies related to emergency responses are current. Ensure manuals are consistent with all federal government regulations and directives. Coordinate manual distribution with Publications.
- Conduct safety training and prepare informational material for Compass Airlines employees. Review educational material to determine applicability, and instruct supervisory personnel as necessary. Ensure safety-related material is properly transmitted to employees in a timely and efficient manner, and ensure safety information bulletin boards are updated on a regular basis.
- Represent the airline in safety and regulatory compliance matters with the following: FAA, NTSB, and ALPA, as well as other appropriate organizations. Interact with senior management on evaluations and recommendations concerning safety issues.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Compass Airlines’ policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- This is a SMS safety related position who has the responsibility for making appropriate risk assessments and decision making to achieve acceptable levels of safety.
Job Description Disclaimer:
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
How to Apply:
If interested, please click “Apply” to be directed to our online application for this position. All submissions must include salary requirements.
Compass Airlines is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, religion, color, disabled or veteran status, national origin, gender, age, citizenship status or other protected class status covered by federal, state or local law.
All applicants must submit to a pre-employment drug screen and background check.