3 months ago
Mechanical Design Engineer III
About the Organization
Astronics is a leading supplier of advanced technologies and products to the global aerospace, defense and semiconductor industries. Astronics' products and services include advanced, high-performance electrical power generation and distribution systems, seat motion solutions, lighting and safety systems, avionics products, aircraft structures, systems certification and automated test systems.
Astronics' strategy is to increase its value by developing technologies and capabilities, either internally or through acquisition, and using those capabilities to provide innovative solutions to its targeted markets and other markets where its technology can be beneficial.
Astronics, through its wholly-owned subsidiaries, has a reputation for high-quality designs, exceptional responsiveness, strong brand recognition and best-in-class manufacturing practices.
Mechanical Design Engineer III
Provides mechanical/structural component and installation design solutions required to support the installation design and certification of systems and equipment onboard commercial aircraft.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
* Work with customers and vendors to understand line replaceable unit (LRU) operating and installation specifications and requirements
* Work with national and global engineering teams to understand system architecture and functionality, as well as the integration and interaction of the system/equipment with the aircraft
* Develop components and system installations to satisfy competing design requirements while also considering factors such as cost, schedule, manufacturability, etc.
* Develop parts lists/Bills of Materials for piece-part, assembly and installation drawings
* Produce piece-part, assembly and installation drawings requisite to effectively communicate manufacturing data and installation design
* Work with electrical systems engineers to design and develop the system installation to address wiring, cable and harness functionality, and the associated requirements and interfaces
* Conduct aircraft surveys to facilitate component and installation design as well as identify potential installation challenges associated with the existing aircraft structure and retrofit installations
* Act as Lead Engineer on programs and interface with customer on technical issues and during design reviews
* Work with aircraft mechanical and installation teams to troubleshoot system installation and operation problems as well as support certification and operability testing
* Review and Approve designs and documents created by others.
* Regular mentoring of less senior employees
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience
* Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering, or in a related technical and/or equivalent field
* Familiarity and/or experience working with a 3D CAD package, preferably Autodesk Inventor
* Familiarity and/or experience working with a 2D CAD package, preferably AutoCAD
* Familiarity and/or experience developing piece-part, assembly and/or installation models and drawings
* Experience in the aviation/aerospace or similar industry
* 4+ years of experience working in a mechanical design capacity
* Experience with review and approval of mechanical designs created by others
Astronics CSC Itasca (1437)
As needed nationally and internationally, approximately 10%-20%
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.