3 months ago
"I feel the need...the need for speed!" If you like the movie "Top Gun", you will love the Rockwell Collins Test and Training Instrumentation (TTI) Engineering Department.
Rockwell Collins (NYSE: COL) is a pioneer in the development and deployment of innovative communication solutions for government applications. The TTI Engineering Department develops state-of-the-art test and training range products for cryptographic, datalink, networking, and command and control applications. We specialize in the development of high quality, highly secure training solutions for the U.S. military, laying the foundation for Live Virtual Constructive (LVC) capabilities. TTI Engineering is responsible for all product line and engineering tasks related to the design, analysis, test and certification of Air Combat Training (ACT) systems (just like Top Gun!!!), maturing products from concept phase through accreditation and factory production.
The TTI Hardware (HW) Systems Engineering team is looking for a dynamic Mechanical Engineer to perform product line and design engineering tasks related to the design, analysis, test and certification of ACT systems. This position will primarily focus on project execution with influence into requirements decomposition and hardware design aspects of the next generation test and training systems for military fighters. Design responsibilities will span across the entire system including both ground and airborne subsystems with a special emphasis on the hardware architecture. Engineering duties will span the entire product lifecycle, from requirements capture and analysis, through design, testing, and factory transition.
* Technically plan, execute, and manage project tasks to meet or exceed programmatic needs
* Perform autonomously under the direction of the HW Integrated Product Team (IPT) Lead, senior engineer, program management, as well as engineering management
* Provide insight to program leadership on implications of hardware changes to the system
* Create and present task status and technical solutions to team members, engineering leadership, and customers
* Work with hardware requirements based on product, system level, and customer requirements
* Design hardware to meet rigorous military requirements to optimize platform, functionality, cost, manufacturability, and Size, Weight, and Power (SWaP) while meeting structural, thermal and other environmental and functional requirements
* Test and verify designs that meet documented hardware requirements
* Create and execute test procedures to support the qualification of products to government standards
* Early project risk identification, mitigation, and escalation
* Adherence to and support of the Rockwell Collins process methodologies while developing and managing commitments to meet project financial and schedule deliverables and quality requirements
* Assist with system sizing for thermal performance consideration and trade studies
* Participate in Integration, test and analysis correlation, reliability analysis, and technology transition
* Design verification, prototype build, qualification test support and production transition to the factory
* Interaction with various electrical engineers to establish functional partitioning and boundary conditions
* Provide printed wiring board mechanical design support
* Utilize strong interaction and interpersonal skills to drive self and teams to success
* Read and understand metrics to predict execution issues
* Work with their team and other team leads to resolve complex issues
This position is located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. A comprehensive relocation package is available for qualified candidates.
* Must possess or be eligible for obtaining a U.S. DoD Secret Clearance. U.S. Citizenship is required. Candidate selected will be subject to a government security investigation/re-instatement and must meet eligibility requirements.
* Bachelor's degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) discipline is required
* Knowledge of design and development processes with practical experience in multiple phases of the HW lifecycle: requirements, design, development, integration, and validation/verification
* Familiarity in the packaging of electronic systems
* Familiarity in structural and thermal management design
* Experience in a 3D CAD solid modeling software package (UG NX or SolidWorks preferred)
* Knowledge of analysis and application of appropriate tolerances using Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance principles
* Experience with configuration management tools and processes
* Good organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks while balancing priorities and schedules
* Good written and verbal communications skills and the ability to work well with others in a professional team environment
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal, to support frequent customer meetings and pursuit related activities
* Motivated self-starter with strong analytical skills
A successful candidate may possess the following:
* Background and/or knowledge of range test and training systems
* Domain expertise in ruggedized electronics design for MIL-STD-810G and MIL-STD-461F requirements
* Factory transition planning and support
* Working knowledge of bidding and project/task estimation (SEER knowledge helpful)
* Able to investigate problems to the root cause and then champion the creation and implementation of corrective actions
* Highly proficient in earned value management techniques and philosophy
* Experience with Agile development methodology
* Familiarity with bid and proposal efforts with engineering estimates and/or parametric modeling tools (e.g. SEER-H)
* Competent with the analysis and selection of engineering materials and processes
* Knowledgeable in static structural, dynamic structural and thermal analysis techniques
* Able to provide support to printed wiring board mechanical design
* Proven technical leadership of small technical teams
* Capable of leading investigations for open ended complex problems
* Understanding of earned value management techniques and philosophy and how it pertains to their project execution
At Rockwell Collins, we believe a solid work-life balance creates a healthy lifestyle and inspires creativity and innovation. We value our people and invest in their development, growth and success at our company by providing development opportunities through Rockwell Collins University, networking, mentoring, and tuition reimbursement.
And that's just for starters.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
Medical, dental, and vision insurance
Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
Company-paid winter holiday shutdown for most locations
Generous 401(k) plan that matches 62.5 percent of the first 8 percent of eligible compensation you contribute (or 5 percent if you save 8 percent)
An Incentive Pay Plan based upon company performance
Interested yet? Apply now and embark on your next worthwhile adventure!
Rockwell Collins is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.