4 months ago
Safran is an international high-technology group and tier-1 supplier of systems and equipment in the Aerospace and Defense markets. Operating worldwide, Safran has nearly 58,000 employees and generated sales of 15.8 billion euros in 2016. Safran is listed on the Euronext Paris stock exchange, and its share is part of the CAC 40 and Euro Stoxx 50 indices.
Safran is ranked among the Top 100 Global Innovators by Thomson Reuters. Safran is also features at the top of the "Happy at Work" ranking compiled by the website meilleures-entreprises.com, as one of the most popular companies for young engineers* and in the LinkedIn Top Attractors in France.
*Universum and Trendence surveys
Safran Aero Boosters is the world leader in low-pressure compressors and oil systems for aircraft engines. Safran Aero Boosters also holds leading positions in test-cell engineering for aerospace engines and is a renowned supplier of flow regulation equipment for space propulsion.
Safran Aero Boosters high-tech products equip the Ariane launcher as well as most commercial aircraft engines in all thrust ranges. Based in Liège (Belgium), Safran Aero Boosters employs 1,450 people, and has two subsidiaries in the United States.
Main domain/Job field
Research, design and development - Mechanical engineering
Mechanical Engineering Manager
Regular Full time
Professional, Engineer & Manager
Part time / Full time
The Mechanical Engineering Manager plans, directs, and coordinates the activities of the Mechanical Engineering Department, ensuring that project objectives are accomplished within the prescribed schedule, funding and quality parameters.
• Departmental workload planning and resource allocation to support mechanical engineering related activities, including product design, quality assurance, R&D, installation, and customer support
• Provide strategies for optimizing the efficiency of the team through ensuring staff has effective training and the most cost effective resources available
• Practice and encourage a First-Time-Right approach for preparation of design deliverables, per approved budget/schedule.
• Department staffing, training, mentoring, evaluation and team-building
• Work closely with ME Technical Lead to:
o Ensure the design authority for mechanical equipment and systems
o Review and approve mechanical designs and design changes, ensuring that designs are produced in accordance with contractual requirements, design standards and company quality policy and procedures
o Maintain documentation and revision control for mechanical designs
o Develop, direct, and maintain departmental design policies, practices, and standards
o Coordination of mechanical design, development, and R&D with Safran Aero Boosters
o Provide manufacturing support; including evaluation and disposition of deviation requests and non-conforming product reports, resulting in a cost effective and expeditious solution for both Safran Test Cells and the supplier
o Identify and implement new technologies maintaining companies leading edge mechanical systems and products
• Concept, design development and management for Safran Test Cells Mechanical equipment and systems R&D, including regular reporting and the development of the analytical work scope, estimated costs and schedules
• Provide technical support to the sales team, including: proposal and cost development, technical review and customer presentations
• Provide technical support to other departments, such as Purchasing, Technical Publications, Installation/Acceptance, and Customer Support
• Identify, implement and maintain Mechanical Engineering tools and CAD systems
• Domestic and international travel as required
• Other duties as assigned
Domestic and International travel as required
Candidate skills & requirements
• Highly organized, self starting, team oriented, customer focused
• Excellent communication skills to effectively work with management, staff, other departments, suppliers and customers
• Demonstrated ability to manage people, multiple projects and changing priorities
• Excellent problem-solving and leadership skills
• Ability to research and understand new technologies.
• Ability to coach and mentor department staff
• Ability to work in a team environment and independently.
• Demonstrated ability to facilitate team building activities for department staff
• Highly knowledgeable of Mechanical Engineering processes, assemblies, fluid systems, structures, welding, machining, and materials
• Strong analytical skills, including structural (statics and dynamics), FMECA, Risk assessment
• CAD and CAE; 3D Solid Modeling, FEA, AutoCAD
• Proficient with Microsoft Office applications- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project
• A minimum of 10 years of direct management experience in Structural design, development and analysis
• Regulatory experience with FM, NFPA, CE, ATEX
• Minimum BSME with 10 or more years of relevant engineering experience
North America, United States, Minnesota, Minneapolis
Minimum education level achieved
Minimum experience level required
More than 8 years