20 days ago
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
NC machine operators setup, operate and adjust numerous types of Numerically Controlled (NC) single and multiple tool milling machines, utilizing pre-planned control media and/or program documents to fabricate close tolerance, high quality parts from various types of metals.
Job Responsibilities include:
* Employment in this position also requires finger manipulation, handling, lifting less than 10 pounds, standing, walking, contact with metals, exposure to noise and atmospheric conditions, and the use of personal safety gear for face/eye, hand/arm, ears and feet.
* Prepare to set-up job (e.g., production orders, first lots, tool tryouts) or run previously set-up job by reviewing work order, tie-in sheets, operator's or setup documents, blueprints or CATIA plots.
* Ensure that correct material (type and quantity) and tools or fixtures were issued and are free from visible defects.
* Identify type of set-up required. Check machine set-up and/or parts completed by previous operator to determine progress on a job and ensure safe working conditions, as required.
* Select machine accessories and holding devises (e.g., chucks, vises, turntables, templates, probes).
* Verify that apparatus is in good condition.
* Identify fixtures, shop aids, or templates to be built and fabricate as required.
* Attach machine accessories, tools, fixtures (e.g. coolant lines, air nozzles, suction devises), shop aides, and gears using dial indicators, edge finders, wrenches, bolts, clamps, and overhead cranes.
* Retrieve and download CNC programs to machine controller using computing equipment and downloading from various servers/data bases.
* Select and check cutting tools per program or CNC documents.
* Ensure cutters are the correct type, length, diameter, radius, and are in good condition.
* Load and unload cutters following program information or set-up documents, using tool holders, spindle tapers, hand tools (e.g. wrenches, mallets, spanners) and/or overhead cranes.
* Set machine coordinates or index points per CNC documents, including cutter offset/compensations, tool heights, and probes, using controller keyboard, coax indicator or digital readout; height blocks, shims and edge finders.
* Run CNC programs to machine rough and precision cut parts following NC documents.
* Adjust machine settings (e.g. speeds and feeds) to correct machining problems or to prepare machine for next operation in sequence, including; head, spindle, or wheel angles.
* Perform minor editing of CNC programs per shop requirements.
* Remove all sharp edges from part with a de-burring tool and/or file, as required.
* Perform Statistical Process Control (SPC) functions as required.
* Handle and dispose of hazardous materials (e.g., coolants, solvents) in approved manner (per Material Safety Data Sheets) using personal protective equipment as required.
* Monitor machine during operation for unusual vibration or sounds, watch machine gauges and controller display or digital readout for warnings, visually check cutter path, clearance, chips to ensure smooth operation.
* Check work after completion of each operation in job and/or completed job to ensure parts are complete per drawing and that there are no defects (e.g., tool marks, mismatch, incorrect cutter finish).
* Maintain personal and tool certifications, as required.
Relocation Assistance Available
Yes. Available for eligible candidates, if authorized.
Current Boeing employees working in Puget Sound and Portland must submit an Employee Request Transfer (ERT) to be considered in the eligible candidate pool. Resumes of current Puget Sound Boeing employees submitted via Careers at Boeing will not be considered. This is an hourly position governed by the IAM Collective Bargaining agreement. High school graduate or GED preferred.
* Experience using precision measuring tools.
* Experience as a machine operator, writing and editing CNC programs.
* Experience using a computer such as internet navigation, email, Microsoft Office and/or other specialized computer applications.
* This position requires all current Boeing employees working in Washington and Oregon to apply via an Employee Request Transfer (ERT) in order to be considered.
* Experience reading and interpreting assembly instructions or drawings.
* Experience operating 3, 4, or 5 axis NC/CNC machine tools.
* Capable of working with and around hazardous materials (while using the proper protective equipment).
Contingent Upon Program Award