4 months ago
Optical Manufacturing Technician III
Business Unit UTC Aerospace Systems
Job ID 57494BR Date posted 12/11/City Danbury
If you want to help make our world a better and safer place – in space, in the air, on the ground, in the sea – then the Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) & Space Systems team may be the place for you. Every day we support the nation on the critical missions of warfighters and astronauts with cutting-edge technology, information, reconnaissance and life-support systems. Our mission is their safety and success.
Do you have what it takes to push the boundaries of leading edge, future shaping technologies, deliver results while working with a diverse team of talented individuals, and challenge yourself knowing that what you do matters to the country and the warfighter? Are you Mission Ready? This job is for you!
We at ISR & Space Systems are world leaders in high altitude and space based electro-optical sensors, employed by the U.S. and foreign militaries in mission critical intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance operations. Our passion for supporting and protecting those who protect our freedom and their mission demands excellence in everything we do, from the talent we recruit to the highly-engineered systems we deliver.
In this role you will be part of the Optical Manufacturing team which is responsible for producing precision optics and optical assemblies. As an Optical Manufacturing Technician you will be part of a team which includes opticians, metrologists, machinists, technicians, technologists and engineers. This position will expose the candidate to various manufacturing assignments across several Optical Manufacturing areas. The Optical Manufacturing Technician will be paired with a mentor from within each work center assigned. Working with your mentor, you will be given assignments of increasing responsibility and opportunities for growth. Assignments will vary based upon business needs and will expose the candidate to a broad range of functional areas. Major duties for this position include manufacture of optics; precision inspections and measurements, machine use and preventative maintenance and providing assistance to the team by executing assignments within the Optical Manufacturing organization.
* Manufacturing optics in accordance with manufacturing documentation, process documentation and technical requirements
* Ensure safe handling in-process and of deliverable hardware
* Support full compliance to standard work requirements
* Support full compliance to Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) requirements
* Collaborate with Optical Methods Engineers with process refinements and enhancements
* Support first-time product and process development activities
* Provide process improvement ideas and suggestions to the Optical Manufacturing team
* Operate manufacturing equipment (e.g., saws, grinders, sandblasters, grinders and polishers) and perform routine cleaning and preventative maintenance
* Maintain manufacturing equipment and ancillary materials in support of key optical manufacturing process (e.g., slurry composition, setting machine parameters, area preparation and peer support)
* Assist in the coordination of work between manufacturing cells
* Draw upon your experience and knowledge of optical manufacturing techniques to improve processes and identify opportunities to ensure quality, improve efficiency, increase throughput and first-pass yield while reducing tact-time
This job is critical to the success of the ISR. Optics and optical assemblies are at the heart of the products produced by ISR & Space Systems. It is essential to our mission because it directly contributes to the high-precision products we deliver in support of our nation’s security interests.
This position intentionally assigns you to multiple functional areas over the course of time. This offers you a unique opportunity for developing a wide range of skills and experiences within the Optical Manufacturing organization.
This is an ideal job for the candidate with a background in optics, optical manufacturing or metrology; a strong mechanical aptitude; a desire to apply your knowledge of optics and optical manufacturing and the desire to expand their knowledge and experience as a contributing member in a team environment.
Work spans across traditional manufacturing areas and laboratory environments
* 5 - 10 years experience in a manufacturing environment
* Strong working knowledge of blueprints and tolerances
* Ability to use shop and basic hand tools
* Strong working knowledge of manufacturing standards and practices
* Familiar with basic optical fabrication techniques including: handling & protecting, cleaning, blocking, grinding, polishing, edging and measuring
* Ability to perform proficiently on a variety of machinery including optical manufacturing equipment
* Experience with special processes (e.g., coating, metrology, machine operations)
* Ability to follow manufacturing instructions in the production of optics and optical assemblies
* Ability to apply manufacturing skills in the production, inspection and test of optics and optical product
* Proficiency with technical information (e.g., blueprints, process specifications and instructions)
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills
* Must have basic computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Office )
* Ability to learn
* Flexibility to work on a variety of different processes
* Team player
* Ability to support overtime needs as required
* Technical School, Associates Degree in related field or equivalent experience in a manufacturing or technical area
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.