about 1 month ago
Optical Sensing Scientist
Join a team recognized for leadership, innovation and diversity
This is an outstanding opportunity for a lead scientist who will pursue applied research and develop products in the area of optical systems and atmospheric sensing. The potential areas of research, development, and applications are optical systems, lasers, optical systems design, ray tracing, optical detection, and atmospheric physics.
Honeywell Aerospace is a leading global provider of integrated avionics, engines, systems and service solutions for aircraft manufacturers, airlines, business and general aviation, military, space and airport operations. This lead scientist will be expected to lead a team to develop new concepts, develop intellectual property, write project proposals, assess competitive technologies and products, and develop new technologies for future products. This will include understanding customer requirements, translating those into device and product requirements, performing trade studies, writing research and development proposals, project cost estimating, budgeting, and program management. The scientist must have strong organizational, leadership skills, program management, and be good at working and negotiating with customers and partners.
Research and Development
YOU MUST HAVE
* Master degree in Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics or related degree
* 5 years of directly related experience with optical systems, electro-optics, laser systems, sensor electronics, and/or sensor technology
* 1 year of Program management experience of internal and external R&D projects including scheduling, milestone tracking, manpower planning, earned-value measurement, estimating and budgeting
* Ph.D. in Engineering or Physics and/or Electrical, Mechanical, Aerospace, or Materials Engineering degree is preferable
* Degree in Physics is acceptable, provided the candidate has a hands-on laboratory background
* Experience leading teams of engineers, scientists, or technicians
* Experience leading, planning, and executing externally-funded proposal activities involving multiple sites and external partners
* Knowledge and experience in taking optical systems through maturation from concept development to engineering to production
* Knowledge and experience in developing intellectual property including patents and assessments
* Experienced in leading or contributing to regulatory documentation and advisory committees.
* Knowledge of U.S. Federal Aviation Administration regulation and certification processes
* Analytical capability to design optical systems using tools such as optical ray tracing/simulation tools
* Experience with laboratory optical systems set up and measurements
* Knowledge and research experience with LIDAR systems
* Software modeling/coding experience with tools such as Python, MATLAB
* Experience and knowledge of atmospheric physics or meteorology
* Capable of leading, planning, and executing the development and testing of sensors, including debugging hardware and software desired
* The candidate should have strong communication and presentation skills
* Willingness to travel (~15%)
Due to US export control laws, must be a US citizen, permanent resident or have protected status.
How Honeywell is Connecting the World
* Continued Professional Development
* 1st Shift
* ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
* Job ID: HRD17863
* Category: Technology R&D
* Location: 12001 State Highway 55, Plymouth, MN 55441 USA
Honeywell is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.