6 months ago
Product Support Engineer Supervisor
Business Unit UTC Aerospace Systems
Job ID 48039BR Date posted 04/27/City Jamestown
State North Dakota
Country United States
Cargo Systems – Interiors: develops and manufactures advanced cargo handling systems for wide-body aircraft helping move cargo through an aircraft fuselage. These systems include ball transfer units, power drive units, control systems, freighter common turntables, centerline restraints, bumpers, unicaster panels, door sill assemblies and rollout stops. These components work together to convey and secure cargo within an aircraft for fast and easy loading and unloading. The control systems are designed with Built in Test Equipment that allows the operator to perform on-aircraft trouble shooting and significantly reduces the time required for on-aircraft functional tests, and synchronized PDU control which reduces aircraft load/unload time allowing the operator more commercial revenue flight time. Our team provides innovative lightweight systems to save fuel costs; systems tested to the most stringent safety specifications; and robust systems to minimize the life cycle cost of the system for the operator.
The Product Support Engineering Supervisor is responsible for ensuring exceptional product support of the Interior’s Cargo products, which includes on aircraft evaluations, training, entry into service support; field issues root cause and corrective actions, and general technical support questions to the end customer. This position will have direct reports and provides leadership, guidance, and direction to the Field Service Engineering Team which includes Product Support Engineers. The Field Service Supervisor fosters and grows end-use operator relationships in conjunction with the UTAS Field Service Representatives (FSR), UTAS Customer Support Managers (CSM), and the UTAS Customer Response Center (CRC). The Field Service Supervisor’s team is responsible for monitoring and controlling reliability performance of fielded product and providing a feedback loop into the design organization.
* Supervises a staff of Product Support Engineers with a wide range of Cargo Handling Systems.
* Provide leadership and oversight to ensure timely and accurate creation of all product service documentation and delivery of product training to meet and exceed business and customer expectations.
* Investigate airline cargo handling system problem reports and identify systems and component issues and escapes to Cargo System Engineering to drive timely resolution
* Ensure product service documentation (e.g. Service Bulletins, Service Information Letters) are create accurate and clearly communicated to all necessary parties
* Ensure team is gathering reliability data from the field and supporting investigations into warranty claims.
* Deploy the necessary resources to support the business and ensure the correct staffing level are in place support the departments workload
* Develop standard work for the department and continue to drive improvements leveraging the ACE tools to help increase department efficiencies.
* Work with the department to integrate the Customer Response Center’s (CRC) standard tools and support 24/7 product support efforts.
* Provide Engineering support to the UtAS Global Network of service centers (Global Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) centers.
* Responsible for oversight on small projects or multiple tasks within functional discipline.
* Provides resolution of issues and monitors integration of work
* Drives continuous improvement for development engineering processes and uses ACE tools to improve the department and streamline department procedures
* Ensures the use of UTAS Product Introduction (UPI) tools in new product development when applicable
* Reviews technical concepts of projects to ensure customer, regulatory, assembly, and manufacturing requirements are met
* Supports development and management of department budgets.
* Work with the other Engineering departments to ensure lessons learned and product improvement ideas are implemented in new system designs.
* Audits work area for safety compliance.
* Adheres to all UTAS rules and codes of conduct.
* Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications Experience Required:
Direct Supervisor Responsibilities for at least 2 years
Experience in Aerospace Product Support with at least 5 years
BA/BS Engineering degree with 5+ years’ experience
MA/MS Engineering degree with 3+ years’ experience
* Strong Leadership skills
* Excellent Problem Solving Skills
* Knowledgeable in customer communication in a technical setting
* Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to present information to all levels of management and leadership
* Ability to multi-task and work in a high pace environment
* 3D CAD experience or training is desired
* Experience in aerospace engineering design and manufacturing environment is desired
* Knowledge of commercial and/or military specification is desired
* Understanding of commercial and/or military aerospace design protocol is desired
* Experience with aerospace certification and qualification requirements is desired
* Meets expectations of internal and external customers
* Customer is first priority
Drive for Results
* Meets deadlines
* Organized and ability prioritize multiple efforts
* Willing to learn and grow technical skills and stay current with technology
* Sufficient skills to prevent errors and ensure accuracy
Education Education Required:
BA/BS engineering degree (ABET-accredited University) (Mechanical Engineering preferred).
MBA – preferred but not require
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.