5 months ago
Senior Accountant is responsible for performing the day-to-day functions for the corporate accounting and/or Financial Reporting processes of the Company. The Senior Accountant will also be responsible for preparing and analyzing certain account reconciliations in connection with the Company’s monthly close process and completing other various projects as determined on an ad hoc basis. This position works closely with the corporate divisions to ensure accounting issues are appropriately identified, analyzed, documented in technical position memos and reported in external reports and internal presentations. The candidate must have excellent knowledge of technical accounting matters, US GAAP, SEC regulations and strong communication skills both written and verbal. The candidate must be process oriented with strong attention to detail, organization and must be able to communicate at all levels within the Company including but not limited to executives, senior management and the external auditors. Overview of accounting functions: Fixed Assets, Aircraft, Inventory, Fuel, Debt, Leases, Frequent Flyer Accounting, Stock Compensation and Administration, Investments and Cash, Benefits, Intangible Assets, Hyperion Administration, Foreign Exchange, Intercompany, G/L maintenance, Financial Statement Consolidation, SEC and other external reporting.
Duties & Responsibilities
* Prepare and peer-review journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations and complex monthly and ad-hoc reports and supporting schedules. Through research and follow up, ensure that reconciling items and discrepancies in accounting data are resolved in a timely manner.
* Prepare, peer-review, and provide documents (e.g. reconciliations, supporting schedules, process maps) by requested deadlines to the Company's external auditors and the SOX group to ensure timely completion of quarterly reviews, the annual financial statement audit and SOX compliance test work.
* Review process maps and perform internal controls to ensure SOX compliance.
* Prepare internal/external financial statements and disclosures for SEC filings. Document and review support for SEC filings for accuracy. Prepare benefit plan financial statements.
* Participate in the design, development, testing, implementation and documentation of accounting systems and related interfaces. Recommend and implement system modifications to improve internal control, increase efficiency or reduce costs. Identify, document and escalate system issues to the IT department.
Job Description (Continued)
* Perform Hyperion Financial Management administration tasks which include maintenance of the G/L hierarchy and financial statement reports, monitoring of system logic and resolving ad-hoc system/user issues.
* Assist with researching, documenting and implementing conclusions regarding technical accounting treatment for non-routine transactions and new accounting pronouncements for areas of responsibility.
* Assist in providing guidance on accounting issues to business groups of the Company as needed.
* Assist in providing new employees with appropriate training on business processes and system applications for assigned areas of responsibility. Assist in providing direction as needed to team members.
* Evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of business processes, procedures and accounting assumptions on an ongoing basis. Recommend and assist in process improvements to improve the control environment and increase the utilization of resources (people, technology, funds).
* Develop and maintain documentation for business and system processes for assigned responsibilities.
* Represent the department in meetings and through written and verbal communication with internal and external customers.
* Perform a variety of other functions/ad-hoc projects as assigned to aid in the department's/company's achievement of goals and business objectives.
*The above responsibilities are general duties that a particular employee in this position may or may not be required to perform. The actual duties required of this position will vary.
* Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
* Minimum of 3-4 years of combined public accounting experience or experience in large public company corporate accounting department
* Master’s degree in Accounting, Economics, or Finance, MBA, or related disciplines or equivalent experiences
* Certified Public Accountant
* Knowledge of SAP general ledger and Hyperion Financial Management reporting tool
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
* Possess fundamental accounting, internal controls and SOX knowledge required
* Self-motivated, detail-oriented with strong organizational and time management skills
* Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Proficient with Microsoft Office software including Outlook, Word and Excel
* Demonstrated ability to lead and participate in projects
* Demonstrated ability to establish metrics, coach and mentor junior employees and provide performance feedback
* Demonstrated experience testing systems using a standardized methodology for documentation preferred
* Demonstrated experience using innovative thinking ability with high degree of motivation and problem solving skills required
* Flexible/adaptable to constant change and scheduling needs to meet deadlines
* Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
* Demonstrated ability to work on projects and prioritize and execute concurrent assignments
* Ability to meet deadlines without supervision
Additional Locations: None
Requisition ID: 12403
Nearest Major Market: Fort Worth
Nearest Secondary Market: Dallas
ERP, SAP, Testing, Accounting, MBA, Technology, Finance, Management