ALASKA AIRLINES' STORY
Alaska Airlines is one of the most respected names in aviation and flies throughout its namesake state and the Lower 48, as well as to Hawaii, Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica and Cuba. Our roots date to 1932 and are symbolized by the Alaska Native painted on the tails of our aircraft. Guided by what we call the "Alaska Spirit", we pride ourselves on providing a lifeline to remote communities while delivering renowned service to everyone we fly. This commitment has brought us national and international recognition. We've been honored with a variety of awards by readers of Travel + Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, USA Today and others. Alaska, with Virgin America, is the premier airline for people on the West Coast, and together with its sister carrier Horizon Air, flies to more than 118 destinations. The two airlines are subsidiaries of Alaska Air Group Inc. (NYSE:ALK) with annual revenues exceeding $7 billion.
Alaska is hiring a Software Engineering Manager to lead engineering for our award winning mobile apps. This leader is responsible for the end-to-end delivery of Alaska's iOS/Android apps, and the respective .NET backend services. The team is tasked with using techniques such as Lean Startup to maximize the value they deliver to our customers. Our teams are highly agile, embrace software craftsmanship values, and look to find ways to ship new functionality every week. We utilize practices such as TDD, mob programming, and continuous delivery to build quality into everything we create. This leader should enjoy building world class experiences and cultivating an environment where engineers love to come to work.
Scope & Complexity
- This position manages software engineering activities for Alaska Air Group (AAG) and its subsidiaries.
Leads a High Performing Team
- Owns the `delivery ecosystem' and builds and supports a high performance agile culture.
- Leads a full-stack software engineering team to deliver against a product roadmap while continuously helping the team to find ways to improve.
- Attracts, retains, and cultivates a high performing, inclusive, software development team.
- Paints a compelling vision that motivates team members to achieve excellent results.
- Inspires and empowers the team to collaborate and continually improve their skills and practices.
Partners Closely with Business Stakeholders
- Builds a strong, collaborative partnership with stakeholders to create software that delivers business value.
- Creates transparency into the delivery team's release plans, progress, and impediments.
- Contributes ideas to the business roadmap based on awareness of relevant industry trends.
- Negotiates to ensure technology priorities are pragmatically considered alongside business priorities.
Delivers Great Software
- Coaches and mentors delivery team members using agile practices focused on early and continuous delivery of valuable software.
- Creates and implements strategies to reduce the time it takes to deliver increments of software, including improving continuous integration and continuous delivery.
- Ensures the team is able to sustain the quality of their software by using practices like test-driven development, unit testing, pair programming, and code reviews.
- Drives the team to maintain effective processes to ensure high service availability.
Is a Technology Visionary
- Partnering with our Enterprise Architect, sets a technology vision and enlists team to build a roadmap to achieve said vision.
- Maintains awareness of changes in technology techniques, tools, and frameworks and pragmatically introduces them to improve the team's productivity.
- Collaborates with peers to align technology vision and share successes.
- A minimum of 7 years of hands-on software development experience.
- A minimum of 3 years of management experience leading and mentoring software developers.
- Demonstrated expertise in applicable languages (e.g., swift, objective-c, java, c#).
- Significant experience shipping applications to both the App Store and Google Play with a track record of shipping updates weekly.
- Expertise using agile methodologies (e.g., Scrum or kanban) to plan and deliver increments of functionality.
- Expertise coaching teams to adopt Extreme Programming (XP) practices such as TDD, unit testing, and pair programming.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to clearly communicate technology concepts to executive level management.
- Minimum age of 18.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Job-Specific Leadership Expectations
- Embody our values to own safety, do the right thing, be kind-hearted, deliver performance, and be remarkable.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree, with a focus in computer science, is preferred.
The location for this position is in Seattle, Washington
OUR CULTURE - ALASKA AIRLINES
For eligible employees, our company offers a unique total rewards package that few companies can match, including insurance coverage for medical, dental and vision care, 401(k) retirement savings plans, monthly and annual incentive bonus plans, time off and a generous employee travel program. Each day, we are guided by our core values of Professionalism, Caring, Resourcefulness, Integrity and Alaska Spirit at work and in our communities. Alaska Airlines also fosters a diverse and inclusive culture and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
A few helpful tips when applying -
~Before applying, we recommend that you clear your browsing history including your temporary internet files and disable pop-up blockers. You can accomplish this by going to the Tools tab.
~Gather your paperwork, including your work history (we require 10 years of work history to be added to the application), resume etc. - before you apply to the position.
~ If you would like to include a cover letter, add it as your first page to your resume. Your resume is part of your application and unique to each position you apply to..
~Once in the application, be sure to use the links provided to return to the previous page if needed. The back button is not compatible with our system.