2 months ago
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Spar mill operators setup, operate and adjust numerous types of Numerically Controlled (NC) multiple tool spar milling machines, utilizing pre-planned control media and/or program documents.
Job Responsibilities include:
* Employment in this position also requires finger manipulation, handling, lifting 10-35 pounds, lifting less than 10 pounds, rotation of head/neck, sitting, standing, walking, contact with metals, exposure to noise, atmospheric conditions, vibration, and energized sources, and the use of personal safety gear for face, eyes, hand/arm, ears and feet.
* Prepare to set-up job (e.g., production orders, first lots, tool tryouts, and tape tryouts) or run previously set-up job by reviewing work order, tie-in sheets, load boards, operator's or setup documents, and drawings.
* Ensure that the correct work order, drawings, operator documents, program, and part are at the machine for the media to be run.
* Ensure that the tools or fixtures are free from visible defects.
* Operate electric stackers and overhead cranes, as required, to move material/parts and tools.
* Check machine set-up and/or parts completed by previous operator to determine progress on a job, as required, and ensure safe working conditions.
* Select machine accessories and holding devises (e.g., fixtures, vacuum pump, hydraulic clamps, hand clamps).
* Identify fixtures and shop aids to be built and fabricate, as required.
* Locate part in vacuum fixture using index, end stops, or reference lines, as required.
* Hook up vacuum lines, run vacuum pump, and check vacuum gauges.
* Attach machine inserts, endstops, special rails, tools, fixtures (e.g., coolant lines, air nozzles, suction devises), shop aides, and vacuum blocks using wrenches, bolts, clamps, and overhead cranes.
* Retrieve and download NC/CNC (numerical control/computer numerical control) programs to machine controller using computing equipment and downloading from various servers/data bases.
* Select and check cutting tools per program or NC/CNC documents.
* Ensure cutters are the correct type, length, diameter, radius, and are sharp and in good condition.
* Load and unload cutters following program information or set-up documents, using tool holders, spindle tapers, hand tools (e.g., wrenches, mallets) and/or overhead cranes.
* Set cutter offsets using gauge blocks, when required. Set machine coordinates or index points per NC/CNC documents, including cutter offset/compensations and tool heights, using controller keyboard, coax indicator or digital readout, and set blocks.
* Run NC/CNC programs to machine rough and precision cut parts following NC/CNC documents.
* Adjust machine settings (e.g., speeds and feeds) to correct machining problems or to prepare machine for next operation in sequence, including head, spindle, or axis angles.
* Monitor machine during operation for unusual vibration or sounds; watch machine gauges and controller display or digital readout for warnings.
* Visually check cutter path, clearance, and chips to ensure smooth operation.
* Visually check work after completion of each operation in job and/or completed job to ensure parts are complete per drawing and that there are no defects (e.g., tool marks, mismatch, incorrect machine finish).
* Dimensionally check key features, as required, using precision measuring tools (e.g., digital micrometer, calipers, and dial indicators).
* Handle and dispose of hazardous materials (e.g., coolants, solvents) in approved manner (per Material Safety Data Sheets) using personal protective equipment as required. Maintain personal and tool certifications, as required.
Relocation Assistance Available
No. Relocation assistance is not a negotiable benefit.
Current Boeing employees working in Puget Sound and Portland must submit an Employee Request Transfer (ERT) to be considered in the eligible candidate pool. Resumes of current Puget Sound Boeing employees submitted via Careers at Boeing will not be considered. This is an hourly position governed by the IAM Collective Bargaining agreement. High school graduate or GED preferred.
Experience using precision measuring tools.
Experience as a machine operator, writing and editing CNC programs.
Experience using a computer such as internet navigation, email, Microsoft Office and/or other specialized computer applications.
This position requires all current Boeing employees working in Washington and Oregon to apply via an Employee Request Transfer (ERT) in order to be considered.
Experience reading and interpreting assembly instructions or drawings.
At least 1 year of experience operating 3, 4, or 5 axis NC/CNC machine tools.
Able to work with and around hazardous materials (while using the proper protective equipment).
Contingent Upon Program Award