3 months ago
Data Scientist, Revenue Management
ALASKA AIRLINES' STORY
Alaska Airlines is one of the most respected names in aviation and flies throughout its namesake state and the Lower 48, as well as to Hawaii, Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica and Cuba. Our roots date to 1932 and are symbolized by the Alaska Native painted on the tails of our aircraft. Guided by what we call the "Alaska Spirit", we pride ourselves on providing a lifeline to remote communities while delivering renowned service to everyone we fly. This commitment has brought us national and international recognition. We've been honored with a variety of awards by readers of Travel + Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, USA Today and others. Alaska, with Virgin America, is the premier airline for people on the West Coast, and together with its sister carrier Horizon Air, flies to more than 118 destinations. The two airlines are subsidiaries of Alaska Air Group Inc. (NYSE:ALK) with annual revenues exceeding $7 billion.
Alaska Air Group is seeking an analyst to join the Operations Research Team within the Revenue Management department. This team supports workgroups by applying advanced analytics on large and diverse datasets to predict consumer behavior and craft optimal price and inventory strategies to maximize revenue growth over a broad portfolio of products.
As a member of the Operations Research Team, this analyst is responsible for leading strategic projects to maximize Alaska Air Group revenue and profits across pricing, inventory control, distribution, e-commerce, scheduling, and network planning. This person will join a fast-paced, high exposure team whose responsibilities include data analysis, demand modeling and research, optimization, project management, and solution design/delivery.
The ideal candidate brings a drive to explore and solve challenging problems, a passion for learning new skills, and the creativity to design and develop novel approaches and tools.
Scope & Complexity
- This position supports operations research activities for Alaska Air Group (AAG) and its subsidiaries.
- Translates pricing, revenue management, and distribution strategy into advanced analytical experiments and models that blend data sources for creative insights into business problems and to align performance with the company's strategic goals - detailed action plans, key performance indicators, and progress metrics.
- Develops and implements systems and technology to produce decision support tools that enable leaders and system practitioners to take strategic action in a dynamic competitive environment.
- Develops and maintains automated systems to perform strategic pricing and inventory activities.
- Leverages technology to enhance department performance and productivity.
- Develops visualizations grounded in statistical best practices that facilitate effective communication of results and key findings to internal and external customers.
- Selects the best methodologies to approach business problems and contributes to the continuous improvement of stakeholder processes and data life-cycle.
- Researches new data sources and analytical tools to enhance the data-driven business process.
- Coordinates with stakeholders and ITS on the integration and support of business systems.
- Contributes to cross-functional teams, ensuring timely and accurate completion of assignments.
- Mentors and supports the development of other analysts throughout the company.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in analytical role or a Master of Science degree with 3 years of experience.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of business intelligence functions, including but not limited to analytics, data mining, reporting, report conversion, data cleansing, data modeling and relational databases.
- Advanced skills in SQL.
- Demonstrated experience working with disparate data sources, data blending, and advanced database functions (database management functions).
- Expert in visualization techniques, dashboard design, and decision support tools; experience using data visualization tools such as Tableau, Power BI, etc.
- Modeling proficiency in cluster analysis and linear regression.
- Experience in descriptive and diagnostic statistics, sampling methodology, residuals analysis / ANOVA, and hypothesis / significance testing.
- Ability to work well with multiple, diverse teams.
- Data-driven mindset and a proven history of continuous self-development.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Minimum age of 18.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Experience using coding languages (C++, C#, VBA, Python, or R).
- Basic optimization/simulation model development.
Job-Specific Leadership Expectations
- Embody our values to own safety, do the right thing, be kind-hearted, deliver performance, and be remarkable.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree is required. A degree with a focus in mathematics, economics, operations research, finance, statistics, business, computer science, or technical/engineering is preferred.
The location for this position is in Seattle, Washington
OUR CULTURE - ALASKA AIRLINES
For eligible employees, our company offers a unique total rewards package that few companies can match, including insurance coverage for medical, dental and vision care, 401(k) retirement savings plans, monthly and annual incentive bonus plans, time off and a generous employee travel program. Our values reflect who we are at work and in our communities: Own Safety, Do the Right Thing, Be Kind-Hearted, Deliver Performance, and Be Remarkable. Alaska Airlines also fosters a diverse and inclusive culture and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please apply on or before: November 26, 2017.
A few helpful tips when applying -
~Before applying, we recommend that you clear your browsing history including your temporary internet files and disable pop-up blockers. You can accomplish this by going to the Tools tab.
~Gather your paperwork, including your work history, resume etc. - before you apply to the position.
~ If you would like to include a cover letter, add it as your first page to your resume. Your resume is part of your application and unique to each position you apply to.
~Once in the application, be sure to use the links provided to return to the previous page if needed. The back button is not compatible with our system.
Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air do not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants are also protected by law.
Alaska Airlines y Horizon Air no toleran discriminacion o acoso en base a raza, color, credo, religion, origen nacional, estatus migratorio de residencia o ciudadania, edad, sexo, orientacion sexual, identidad de genero o expresion, estado civil, discapacidad, estado veterano protegido, informacion genetica o cualquier otra base protegida por la legislacion aplicable. Empleados o aspirantes que indaguen, discutan o revelen su compensacion o la remuneracion de otros empleados o aspirantes tambien estan protegidos por ley.