7 months ago
Staff Design Engineer
Business Unit UTC Aerospace Systems
Job ID 54643BR Date posted 10/03/City Colorado Springs
Our Colorado Springs Specialty Seating Systems Company is recognized as the leader in designing, developing, and manufacturer of a broad spectrum of aerospace seating products. Our seating portfolio includes proprietary products designed specifically for the US Air Force, US Navy, Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, Sierra Nevada, NASA, Boeing, Airbus, Cessna, V.I.P. Business Jets, Bombardier, Embraer, as well as other airlines, aircraft OEMs, and foreign governments.
We recruit the best talent and use the best processes to solve some of the industry's greatest technical challenges - safely, ethically and responsibly. Our decade long year over year expansion is continuing with growth driven by industry leading state of the art technologies and seats that meet the latest expectations for aerospace customers worldwide. We are looking for a highly motivated individual to join our expanding ejection seat design team located on the front range of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. The design team is a position for an engineer wanting work with very challenging requirements, state of the art technologies, advanced materials, cartridges, rockets, computer controlled devices, subsonic & supersonic aerodynamics, parachutes, aircrew equipment including advanced helmet mounted displays, and the appreciation for saving an aircrew life every few months. Our people make the difference and are the reason our business and our corresponding engineering department continues to grow each year. How our people perform is as important as how our products operate.
The position requires a high level of design experience and capability. Position has responsibility to provide engineering deliverables through all phases of development from concept generation through qualification testing and the initial production implementation. This individual creates innovative design solutions, executes design reviews, works directly with customers, and supports testing of the ejection seat products. This position is a lead design and lead project engineering position. This position will occasionally serve as a lead test engineer and will be co-leading customer reviews along with the project manager.
* Utilizes Unigraphics NX CAD software to create 3D design models
* Conduct requirements analysis and layout technical/design plans for the development effort as well as develop the requirement compliance plan.
* Interacts with Business Development department to ensure customer satisfaction and garner program wins.
* Assist the engineering manager by supporting the project manager in preparation of bids and proposals for small, medium, and large programs.
* Successfully execute on design/development tasks required to develop and qualify aircraft ejection seats.
* Review the work of other staff members and the UTAS Global Engineering Center-India (GEC-I) engineering team members to ensure requirements are met and are of high quality.
* Work as the liaison between COS Design Engineering and GEC-I Engineering on technical design tasks.
* Lead a cohesive engineering team and be the primary technical POC with the Integrated Product Development Team (IPDT) to develop various aircraft seating products.
* Work as part of a cohesive test team testing ejection seats with state of the art anthropometric manikins (similar to automotive industry manikins) at ejection velocities from zero airspeed to beyond the speed of sound (800+ MPH groundspeed)
* Review requirements and lead design reviews to evaluate new product design and functionality in support of meeting customer requirements and successful certification efforts.
* Facilitate necessary customer requirement testing to ensure product safety.
* Be the technical focal for customer technical communication
* Leads the team in conceptualization and preparation of preliminary and final detail design and documentation of systems, components, and assemblies.
* May occasionally design test fixtures, tooling, and aircraft fuselage mounts and undercarriages to mount to our track for our HMTF testing.
* Adheres to all UTAS rules and codes of conduct.
* Performs other duties as required.
Qualification: Experience Required:
* A minimum of 10 years of aerospace engineering experience.
* 3-5 years of experience with Unigraphics NX CAD software
* A minimum of 5 years in a lead engineering role including experience leading product development projects through SRRs, PDRs, CDRs, TRRs, and PRRs.
* A minimum of 5 years of experience working in an Integrated Product Development Team (IPDT) environment
* Outstanding communication skills
* Strong interpersonal skills and skills facilitating working in a teamwork environment
* Strong analytical skills including strong knowledge of physics, dynamics, and statics.
* Direct experience with manufacturing processes
* Experience presenting design solutions to internal and external customers
* US Citizen or Green Card required.
* Experience with FEA or Strength hand calculations. LS-Dyna/Hypermesh experience additional benefit.
* Five years of experience with the UTAS Product Introduction Process
* Experience with aircraft cockpit, crew station, escape system, ejection seat, or crew systems design
* Experience working on military programs
* Experience with machining, sheet metal, composites, and fabric design
* Experience with energetic cartridge actuated devices or propellant actuated devices
* Experience of aerospace specifications
* Experience with aerospace materials and associated manufacturing processes
* Experience with electro-explosive devices
* Experience working at or with Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, Raytheon, the US Air Force, US Navy or other aircraft OEM customers.
* Experience with lean principles, continuous improvement, or UTC Achieving Competitive Excellence (ACE)
* Experience with international engineering support groups
* The ability to visualize, design, and develop cutting edge mechanical structure, mechanisms, cartridge actuated devices, parachutes, head/neck protection devices, arm restraint devices, leg restraint devices, torso restraint devices, survival equipment, electronic sequencers, etc. to enable safe ejection that meets the very stringent department of defense expectations for ejection seat performance.
* Strong leadership skills
* Individual must be very detail oriented and thorough in the design activity due to the criticality of the ejection performance. A life is at stake with every part designed by the team and this engineering position.
* Innovative, detail oriented, and dedicated to satisfactory completion of all elements of the design tasks.
* Strong customer skills and customer focus (both internal and external customers)
* Strong analytical skills.
* Ability to work independently but primarily as the technical lead for an integrated product team.
* Ability to multi-task and prioritize both daily issues and long-term projects.
* 100% dedicated to following all safety procedures and precautions.
* Excellent interpersonal skills.
* Excellent written and verbal skills
* Excellent computer skills, including skill in Microsoft Office applications and the ability to learn new software.
* Experience at troubleshooting including in depth root cause analysis and corrective action closure.
* BS or MS Aerospace, Mechanical, or Metallurgical Engineering Degree
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.