This position requires a current security clearance at Top Secret level with Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI)
The Boeing Company is seeking a systems engineer to join a 20-30 person project team, assisting with the development and maintenance of complex, multi-tiered data centers used to support the command and control of space vehicles. Team projects require the development of custom application software, and the completed systems include COTS hardware and software, commercial database systems and computer network infrastructure.
This individual will participate in all phases of the computer system development life cycle, including concept of operations development, requirements development and analysis, software and hardware system design, algorithm design, risk management, integration, test and documentation.
Engineering duties will include:
• Develop concepts of operations to meet end user needs
• Serve as the team domain expert for various technical topics
• Develop and lead system designs that satisfy the system requirements
• Focus and support the design of software algorithms that meet performance specifications
• Support the design of graphical user interfaces (GUIs) that meet end user needs
• Support the design of database table models that support software application development
• Lead the development of formal system requirements for computer systems and custom software
• Write use cases that align with end user needs
• Conduct trade studies and lead trade study briefings to support the selection of hardware components, COTS products and algorithm approaches
• Focus the team and support and lead design review presentations
• Support integration and test activities, to include formal sell-off of requirements
• Support the development of end user documentation
• Focus the team and support maintenance and troubleshooting activities related to delivered systems
• Support the development of technical proposals for the purpose of acquiring additional work.
Offer is contingent upon program access and ability to obtain final clearance (Pre-Start) U.S. Citizen required.
Candidates must have experience in the following:
• Applies an interdisciplinary, collaborative approach to plan, design, develop, and verify complex lifecycle balanced system of systems and system integration solutions;
• Evaluates customer/operational needs to define and coordinate system performance requirements, integrate technical parameters and assure compatibility of all physical, functional, and program interfaces;
• Performs various analyses to optimize total system of systems and/or system architecture;
• Performs analyses in affordability, safety, reliability, maintainability, testability, human systems integration, survivability, vulnerability, susceptibility, system security, regulatory, certification, product assurance, and other specialties quality factors into a preferred configuration to ensure mission success;
• Develops, maintains, and identifies improvements for the planning, organization, implementation and monitoring of requirements management processes, tools, risk, issues, opportunity management and technology readiness assessment processes;
• Resolves cross-functional technical issues • Call-in responsibilities, some occasional shift work, and weekend work are required.
• Ability to certify and cross train in other program areas as required;
• Required to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment;
• Self-starter and works independently to formulate and execute project plans, complete and track assigned tasks;
• Demonstrate initiative in working solutions to technical challenges;
• Expected to independently work a project with concurrent tasks and communicate status to their lead;
• Working knowledge and experience with the Root Cause Corrective Action (RCCA) process and managing/assessing troubleshooting artifacts to include the ability to facilitate RCCA problem solving discussions;
• Working knowledge of both Unix and Windows based systems: Simulation experience is highly desired.
• Current security clearance at Top Secret level with Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI).
Additional responsibilities are:
• Fluent in the use of Microsoft Office Tools and able to independently produce PowerPoint briefings, MS Project schedules, MS Word documents, and generate and manipulate Excel files;
• Some knowledge of Web-based tools, such as SharePoint, is desired;
• Working knowledge of systems engineering principles to solve engineering problems, create process-driven documentation, manage project requirements, and produce task schedules;
• Working knowledge and experience with the Root Cause Corrective Action (RCCA) process and managing/assessing troubleshooting artifacts;
• Comfortable speaking in front of a group and able to schedule and lead coordination meetings.
Degree and typical experience in engineering classification: Bachelor's and 5 or more years' experience, Master's degree with 3 or more years' experience or PhD degree with experience. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
This position requires the ability to acquire a DoD clearance post-hire and is contingent on clearance verification and customer concurrence.