6 months ago
The Senior Tax Consultant - Indirect Tax must have the ability to ensure compliance with sales, use, gross receipts, VAT and property tax laws, manage the preparation of transactional tax returns for all jurisdictions, make certain all related taxes are paid, and review work performed by tax staff.
The position requires excellent focus, high energy and enthusiasm, forward thinking, strong analytical capability, excellent problem solving, strong customer services skills, the ability to manage change, solid execution and a commitment to help the company meet financial objectives and exceed customer expectations.
The essential duties specific to this indirect tax position include:
• Supervise preparation and filing of File sales, use, gross receipts, VAT, property and federal excise tax returns;
• Maintain and update taxability matrices to support sales process;
• Ensure updated and accurate registration for all applicable state sales and use and business tax licenses;
• Review real estate and personal property tax bills and property tax assessments, track property tax appeals status, respond to information requests from taxing jurisdictions;
• Process month-end entries and reconcile general ledger accounts related to indirect taxes on a monthly basis;
• Identify, document, and pursue sales and use tax refund opportunities with the applicable state taxing authority;
• Evaluate customer exemption certificates and maintain exemption certificate file;
• Provide tax status and exemption certificates s needed for vendors
• Review customer and vendor contracts/proposals to mitigate tax risks;
• Coordinate defense of indirect tax audits by various taxing authorities; and
• Provide day-to-day guidance to tax staff including reviewing work.
Additional skills and experience desired:
• In depth systems knowledge particularly Vertex, SAP, and/or Corridor;
• Excellent customer service skills (internal and external) and ability to build strong working relationships;
• Experience in supervising employees and coordinating cross-functional project projects; and
• Audit defense experience.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Bachelors degree in Accounting or a related curriculum or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master's or advanced degree in Accounting, Finance, or Tax related field may offset 1 to 2 years experience requirement. Minimum of 5 years experience in Tax. CPA designation strongly preferred.
Applies principles of tax law with a primary focus on basic review of work performed by tax personnel and more in-depth analysis of tax law, knowledge of federal, state, and international compliance requirements, and accounting for income tax.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential Functions: 1. Analyzes and maintains tax accounting and compliance software and tax records. 2. Prepares and reviews increasing complex federal and state tax returns, forecasts, and projections. 3. Compiles facts, analyzes applicable tax law, and prepares memos of tax findings. 4. Participates and assists in the identification of tax strategies. 5. Analyzes records and tax law in preparation of tax audits. 6. May provide day-to-day guidance to tax staff.
Additional Functions: 1. Performs other duties as assigned.
Other Requirements: 1. A credit history check from a national credit bureau will be conducted for all candidates for this position including new hires and current employees seeking promotion or transfer. 2. Proficient in the use of Microsoft applications and tax and accounting database software.
Languages Required (in addition to English): None
Requisition Number: 89462
Percentage of Travel: Up to 25%
Employment Type: Full-time
Gulfstream does not provide work visa sponsorship for this position, unless the applicant is a currently sponsored Gulfstream employee.