5 months ago
1) Willingness to learn in a fast-paced environment.
2) Knowledge of the physical components of a computer and how they inter-operate is required.
3) A functional knowledge of the Linux operating system with particular focus on what the Linux kernel is, how services are managed, the purpose of the shell, the management of packages using a package manager. Must be able to traverse the file system easily and be comfortable with basic commands (cd, mv, cp, cat, less, vi, etc). A familiarity with the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard is required.
4) Solid background with one or more scripting languages: Bash/ksh/sh, Python, Perl, PHP, etc.
5) A basic understanding of TCP/IP networking. This would include a functional knowledge of the 7 layer OSI model and/or the 4 layer TCP/IP model.
6) Experience with managing Apache and/or NGINX services.
7) Basic understanding of relational databases including how data is stored and recalled by an application.
8) A working knowledge of system-level firewalls and how they are managed.
9) Knowledge of how to compile and debug binary applications in Linux.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology or related curriculum or equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. 2 years experience required. in any combination of the following: Installation, configuration, and maintenance of Linux (RedHat/CentOS preferred.) or Microsoft Windows, Software Development, or Aerospace Engineering.
Provides operational support for the Technical (Scientific) Computing (TC) environment in the Advanced Computing Technologies (ACT) department. Completes projects as outlined in the operating plan by leveraging enabling technologies to meet desired goals, objectives, and strategies of various business areas.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists with the day-to-day operations of TC environment. 2. Assists end users running software applications on supported hardware. 3. Provides second level support to scientific/engineering end users using Linux workstations and remote visualization systems. 4. Performs proactive failure trend analysis and root cause analysis for all system failures. 5. Produces trend reports to highlight production issues and follows predetermined action and escalation procedures when issues are encountered. 6. Monitors, verifies, and suggests appropriate adjustments to support proper application executions. 7. Provides technical solutions that meet the performance and processing objectives of the business areas. 8. Follows upgrade plans to ensure compliance with departmental standards and industry best practices. 9. Writes scripts in Perl, Python, or BASH and/or develop software in C, C++, Fortran or MATLAB. 10. Provides support during data center system upgrades and outages. 11. Assists with environment patching and software updates. 12. Assists with performance tuning activities and testing. 13. Diagnoses TCP/IP networking issues. 14. Assist with the management, deployment, and troubleshooting of network infrastructure services (DNS, DHCP, LDAP, etc). 15. Acts as Subject Matter Expert (SME) in some technology stacks/systems (servers, storage, networks, etc).
1. Maintains technical relationships with multiple hardware and software vendors. 2. Work multiple operational windows as required. to support business objectives. 3. Provide on-call support 24x7. 4. Comply with technical standards, hardware standards, and software standards and corporate policies. 5. Maintain technical documentation in accordance with department practices. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. RHCSA, RHCE, MCSA, or MCSE certifications preferred. 2. Experience in one or more of the following required: administration of Apache, Tomcat, HTML/XML or other web-based technologies; administration of Linux/Windows services and software installation; TCP/IP networking – Including DNS and DHCP protocols; supporting scientific workstations running visualization applications; supporting NFS based network storage; front-end simulation portion of an aircraft design cycle; software development, delivery, and support to a large user base. 3. Experience with one or more scripting and/or programming languages (BASH, Perl, Python, C, C++, Fortran, Matlab,etc).
Languages Required (in addition to English): None
Requisition Number: 103421
Category: Information Systems
Percentage of Travel: Up to 25%
Employment Type: Full-time
Gulfstream does not provide work visa sponsorship for this position, unless the applicant is a currently sponsored Gulfstream employee.