5 months ago
good analytical skillsattention to detailprevious transportation experience with rates, carriers and coordinationSummary Statement: Applies thorough understanding of administrative concepts, practices and procedures and a general knowledge of industry standards and government regulations related to compiling and computing freight rates, passenger fares, and other charges for transportation services, according to rate tables and tariff regulations and preparation and distribution of shipping documents. Essential Functions and Key Responsibilities:
* Plans and accomplishes a complete range of assignments and tasks that are varied and moderately complex to complex within the area of arranging transportation, computing freight rates, and completing all required documentation for shipping using experience and judgment to determine appropriate action selected from established alternatives. Work is accomplished under general supervision and written or verbal guidelines.
* Examines shipping bills to obtain description of freight, and classifies freight according to rate description.
* Compares identifying information and counts, weights, or measures on items of outgoing shipments to verify information against bills of lading, invoices, shipping orders or other records.
* Consults rate schedule to obtain specific rate for each item classified depending on distance shipped.
* Computes total freight charge and records charges on shipping order.
* Determines method of shipment, utilizing knowledge of shipping procedures, routes, and rates.
* Contacts carriers to arrange transportation of shipments and answers inquiries from shippers regarding rates, routing, packing procedures and interline transportation procedures. Prepares all shipping documents on computer or typewriter.
* Keeps records of freight movements.
* Calculates and records storage, redelivery, and reconsignment charges when applicable.
* Files shipping documents. Examines bills of lading and files claims with transportation companies for overcharges. JOB QUALIFICATIONS: TRAFFIC ASSISTANT II Formal Education, Training and Work Experience: Experience may be substituted for the formal education and training requirements in this section at the discretion of management. Associate level degree in accounting or equivalent from a technical or business school and four (4) to seven (7) or more years related experience and/or training, plus some experience in shipping, receiving, or warehousing or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.