This is an exciting opportunity for a Senior Level performing professional to join the Boeing New Orleans Exploration Launch Systems supporting production of the NASA Space Launch System (SLS) Core Stage. This position is at the NASA Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans, Louisiana.
This is a rotating shift position. First and/or second are required to support production as needed.
As a Senior Level Tooling Engineer you will be responsible to:
- Develop new tooling principles, processes, methods or concepts to solve complex manufacturing problems;
- Lead integration of leading edge technology to advance tool engineering processes and applications;
- Lead development and implementation of new or innovative approaches to tool designs and manufacturing applications;
- Decompose program or project requirements into executable tooling work packages;
- Coordinate and resolve critical, complex or high visibility tooling issues with customers and suppliers;
- Consult and advise on proposal development to facilitate tool and equipment decision making;
- Perform, review, and approve highly complex analysis (e.g., stress, static and dynamic loading, thermal factors, etc.);
- Lead cross-functional root cause analysis and corrective action teams to develop, authorize and implement highly complex alternative methods and interim solutions for tools and equipment;
- Oversee investigations requiring significant integration to ensure compliance with regulatory and contractual requirements;
- Mentor and train others;
- Work under consultative direction.
Applies advanced job principles, theories, and concepts. Contributes to the development of new principles and concepts as well as advanced job practices, techniques, and standards. Recognized as a job expert within the company.
Works on unusually complex technical problems and provides solutions which are highly innovative and ingenious.
Initiates assignments and determines and pursues courses of action necessary to obtain desired results. Work is checked through consultation and agreement with others rather than formal review by a superior.
Develops advanced technical ideas and guides their development into final product. Erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in failure to achieve critical organizational objectives and affect the organization's technological capability and image.
Serves as organization spokesperson on advanced projects and programs. Acts as advisor to management and customers on advanced technical research studies.
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers.
BDS DevelopmentRelocation Assistance Available
Yes. Available for eligible candidates, if authorized.Qualifications
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22.C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. “US Person” includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Degree and typical experience in engineering classification: Bachelor's 14 or more years' experience, Master's with 12 or more years' experience or PhD with 9 or more years' experience. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard. A degree in Mechanical Engineering or Manufacturing Engineering is preferred.
Basic Qualifications/Required Skills:
Candidate MUST have:
- 10+ years Tooling experience;
- 10+ years Manufacturing experience.
- 10+ years Pro-E/Creo experience;
- Experience working with NASA customers;
- Material Review Board (MRB) certification;
- 10+ years in a machine shop environment;
- Experience working in a team based environment;
- Degree in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering is preferred.
Individual ContributorJob Type
Yes, 10 % of the TimeContingent Upon Program Award